Turbo Timer for CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never installed on one a liberty, but I have on cars equipped with turbos.
I think the last one installed was Greddy. The install is relatively simple, basically deals with the ignition wires. Hardest part is finding the right wires, its not hard at all, it just takes a little time.

Bennett

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd hold off on buying a turbo timer. It seems that some cars don't need one. I recently bought a WRX and the cooling design of the Subaru turbo is superior than that of the old school Toyotas, and I've never seen one on a diesel. Since the CRD is new to the US, I would wait until some of the other people have had one. IMO.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
superior technology or not you can always benifit from allowing cooler colant/water to flow through the turbo which can be done by use of a turbo timer.

I've got one on my modified GTI, and if I had a CRD I'd try to get on on that too.

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to get into a ******* match, but the only benefit MAY be extended turbo life. There are NO performance gains. On a VW a turbo timer is a good idea, but like I said, some vehicles won't need one.

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another idea; check the owner's manual to see if there is a cool down procedure for your turbo. If there is a section dedicated to this, then go ahead and get the timer. If not, save the $100 and your time.

Rubi Jane

Reaction score
The manual does have cool down procedures so that's the reason for the timer. It's just so much easier to have a timer and if it extends the turbo life then great, otherwise it's probably worth $100 just for the convenience.

Problem is now to find the wires...thinking of asking the dealer to install or getting a performance shop to install.

Rubi Jane

Reaction score
The manual does have cool down procedures so that's the reason for the timer. It's just so much easier to have a timer and if it extends the turbo life then great, otherwise it's probably worth $100 just for the convenience.

Problem is now to find the wires...thinking of asking the dealer to install or getting a performance shop to install.

Rubi Jane

Reaction score

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
styng88 said:
Not to get into a ******* match, but the only benefit MAY be extended turbo life. There are NO performance gains.

No need for a ******* match, as it doesnt seem you've got an understanding on why you'd want a turbo timer #-o. All turbo vehicles regardless of any suposed superior technology require different cool down procedures than non turbo cars, ie cooling off the turbo via coolant or water flowing through it. All a turbo timer is doing is allowing that to happen, there by giving the turbo more life. If your expecting performance gains from this type of mod you've got some more reading to do!

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I DO understand what at turbo timer does. Will I buy one for my WRX?? HELL NO. For me, it's a waste of gas. If I ever buy a CRD, I'd think about it. So no, ALL TURBO MOTORS DO NOT NEED A TURBO TIMER.

Skidplate

Reaction score
In my sig is what I commute in (the powerstroke). I find that when I get to work or the store, you can almost watch the temp gauge drop when you park. Let it idle down for a minute or two, drop your seat belt, turn off lights etc and you should be fine. Diesels cool off a lot faster than a gas engine. The only time I let it cool for an extended time is if I pull off the freeway and then after a few moments at idle the temp has fallen enough to shut it down. Plus with the cost of diesel anymore...
just my 2 cents...

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Well here's the real deal on turbo timers...

The basic function of a turbo timer is to allow the vehicle to idle the engine for a timed period, with the ignition key removed. This allows the engine oil and turbo center cartridge to cool down and prevent internal turbo damage.

If you don't drive hard it really isn't necessary, but if you do occasionally drive hard just leave it run for 2 minutes before you shut the engine off, much cheaper turbo timer that way.

Bennett

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why a turbo timer in a Jeep? Is it necessary? Unless you plan to race the engine all the time, I think it's a waste of money unless you have an import Honda or sedan of that sort but in a Truck? It would probably be neat to have it if you have a Turbo engine otherwise, allowing your car to idle for a bit before you turn it off is just the same.

rob

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fujitsubo said:
Why a turbo timer in a Jeep? Is it necessary? Unless you plan to race the engine all the time, I think it's a waste of money unless you have an import Honda or sedan of that sort but in a Truck? It would probably be neat to have it if you have a Turbo engine otherwise, allowing your car to idle for a bit before you turn it off is just the same.

rob

the CRD is a turboed engine #-o

Rubi Jane

Reaction score
Interesting comments but honestly...I understand what a turbo timer does. The Sport CRD does not have a turbo temp gauge so I can't see it cool down. Sure I could sit oin and wait 30 sec to 2 mins (depending on driving) to shut her off but why I'm looking at a timer is a matter of convenience for myself to extend the turbo life.

Waste of money on the timer or the little extra diesel it's gonna burn? Well, I guess I'm not cheap! We typically invest in our vehicles and run recommened maintenance/protective procedures and for that we have appear to have little to none operating issues over the cause of our vehicle's lives.

What I wanted to know was if anyone had installed one not a friggin' lecture that I don't "need" one. ](*,)

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relax,

A lot of us make mods that we don't "need." If I had a CRD, I would be interested in something like this, simply because I love gadgets. I have seen these on diesel motorhomes, but don't know that much about them. If you get one, I personally would like to hear about your experience and perhaps see some pics.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screw the timer...buy gauges instead.

You could always ditch the Turbo Timer in place of something really useful...actual gauges. I have a 2003 Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 Crew Cab with the H/O Cummins Turbo Diesel & six speed. I have an AFE Magnum Force Intake w/ProGuard 7 and Torque Tube, EDGE EZ, and a better flowing aftermarket muffler. Before any BOMBing took place, I installed gauges (BOMB means Better Off Modified Baby!) boost, pyrometer, and fuel pressure.
Typically, on my Cummins Turbo Diesel, it's safe to shut down at 300* F or lower pre-turbo. The amount of time it takes to hit 300* F depends on load, terrain, outside temperature, speed, and a number of other similar variables.
Given the fact the CRD's come with 0W40 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, I'm not going to get too excited about frying the turbo anytime soon. Just a little common sense and a few seconds of idling prior to shut down, unless the piss has been ran out of it, should keep the little turbo happy and extend its life alot.
The first pic is not the best quality....

Autometer Phantom Series Boost & EGT Gauges in Cubby Hole Mount :

You must be registered for see images

DiPricol Fuel Pressure Gauge in SRT/10 A-Pillar Mount :

Greg

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the turbo cool-down page from the CRD owner's manual.

It doesn't go into just how one measures the Turbocharger temperature, but I imagine placing my pinkie on it would be a bad idea.

I was surprised but the relatively long duration of the cool down. I can't quite see myself, racing into an interstate rest stop with bursting bladder, and waiting 2 minutes for it to cool down. I can take care of the entire reason for stopping in much less than 2 minutes.

So the dumb question: For years, coolant systems have had temperature sensor controlled electric fans that run long after the key is removed. Is this not a better answer than a timer that keeps the engine running?