Turbo Timer for CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
melted said:
So the dumb question: For years, coolant systems have had temperature sensor controlled electric fans that run long after the key is removed. Is this not a better answer than a timer that keeps the engine running?

No. The fans cool the radiator and the coolant fluids but do nothing to circulate the fulid through the engine as it cools. Thats not an issue for non turboed vehicles. For turbos though they are cooled via flow of liquid through the housing, because they spin at such high speeds (100,000rpms in nothing) the heat they generate is very high (my GTI runs ~1000-1100 and higher when under boost). The liquid used to cool the turbo is also as such much hotter as a result. If you shut off the car before giving it a good cool down the hot coolant can cool to rapidly and cake in the feed lines which will reduce the ability to properly cool the turbo as times goes on and can lead to turbo failure from heat. A turbo timer keeps the car running, which keeps the fluids flowing and as it sits without load it cools everything as needed, something simply running a fan cant do.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So dumb question number 2: Could the turocharger be sufficiently air cooled using an separate bolt on electic muffin fan, or is there simply not enough heat exchange surface area to keep the engine coolant from caking? Maybe it's just easier to run the engine. #-o

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo is typically cooled thru intake air at idle, as well as the circulation of coolant and engine oil. A fan won't help any.
Greg

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
What about putting an intercooler on a CRD :-k Now that be cool and give you more power!

GerardSchlundt

Reaction score
Amazing

After all that chatter of wether or not a timer is necessary no on actually even asked the right questions...it just turned into a urinating match.

I want a turbo timer in my CRD too -- I don't care if I spend $.05 of diesel fuel unnecessarily. It would be worth it in peace of mind knowing I'm doing everything I can to extend the life of a great vehicle.

Now, on to the technical how-to discussion - from my point of view there are 2 questions:

The keys have the silly 'chip' in them -- so if you remove the key, the engine will shut down, regardless of the ignition wire status. I've seen a company (can't remember who they were) that made a bypass for the chip sensor --

The second is identifying the ignition wire, and the emergency brake wire. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this system? I knowing what wire is the ignition seems to be the hardest part so far...

-Gerry

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't a customed burned chip do the trick on this? I find that extending the time on turbine cool down to be very interesting as I plan to drive my CRD in the 90-100mph range daily. 0w-40 is what I use in th race car so I am sure the $15 a liter Castrol race will work just fine in the turbine as well. 9hrs at 80-100mph can be tough on turbos if you do not let them cool correctly. Hmm turbo time that is another to put on the list. Have to see if anyone makes on here.

emiperformance

Reaction score
Another reason for having a turbo timer is that in my case SRT-4 and CRD is that the same oil that runs through the engine also runs through the turbo. if the car/jeep is driven under load of turned off after high speed/high RPM driving. the oil pump stops pumping the moment the engine is turned off and the turbo is still spinning (momentum). with no oil going through the turbo, the oil gets super hot with no circulation.
by leaving the engine idle weather it be by a turbo timer or by just sitting in the car and waiting, the speed of the turbines decreases to about 500-1000 RPM's on idle versus 45,000 RPM's on my SRT-4 and about 15,000 on my CRD.
I have a turbo timer on both.

Danny

richardkf

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a turbo timer on their CRD? I may be confusing details of security systems between my CRD and my other vehicle, but ... when you turn off your CRD and remove the key and lock the doors (which activates the factory security system) ... doesnt removing the key or arming the security system cut off the fuel pump until either the alarm disarms or the proper encoded key is put in the ignition?

Maybe all of that is alleviated in-lieu of the engine immobilizer by-pass module everyone is talking about?

I am interested in a turbo timer too, but weary of playing with ignition wires with all of these variables lurking out there.

dnm45227

Reaction score
If you have the sentry key system it will start for about 5 seconds then cut out, unless a key trained for that vehicle) is in or near the ignition.

There was some talk a long time ago about a turbo timer. The best I can recall is then one wasn't avaiable, and if you were really concerned you could just idle for about 30 seconds before turning the car off.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
It's an old thread but the gent never got a good answer. Anyone using a turbo-timer on their CRD??? What kind and how succesful?

The realest reason for using one is to give the turbo oil and cooling during spin down. If you don't idle 2 or more minutes after you park the oil cooks in the supply line and cokes it up diminishing or stopping oil supply to the turbo which will die expensively. There's also that metal to metal noise the turbo makes as you walk away too soon which is evil bad expensive wrong.

So anybody with a CRD got one that works or do the Jeep computers negate them all and shut it down early anyway?

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember which one I got but it was like $100. Not a big name brand (I think it might have even been "turbo timer" It is very simple 1,2,3,4 or 5 minutes. Computer does not disrupt it but as it gets close to shut off you can feel the engine start to shake a little bit more than normal. Had it professionally installed.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Thanks JDa. I'm re-inspired to run for two minutes of freedom. It adds up. Didn't want to blow the big bucks without some hope of success.