Turbo lag on CRD .. can one improve the response

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Watty

Reaction score
All CRD owners are aware of the so-called “turbo lag” issue that is experienced during acceleration. My question is very simple. Can the lag period, or seconds waited before the turbo kicks in and give the much wanted compression needed for the required power from the diesel mill, be improved on. Alternative turbo’s, maybe even a second unit, ram/spinned air flow inducers, etc??? Any ideas?

Thanx

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposedly Jeep took measures to drastically reduce turbo lag on the CRD. I sure can't tell it. Mine suffers from lag, particularly when slowing for a red light and then having to get back on the accellerator when it switches to green before a complete stop.

They say a smaller turbo will help with lag, and multiple turbos will too. But you are looking at voiding your warranty, and extreme amounts of money and labor to do something like this. As far as improving what we've got, there isn't anything I've seen.

I don't think the turbo lag is too bad...it is annoying sometimes and takes a little getting used to but it could be much worse. It doesn't hurt the performance too much.

smithers_0990

Reaction score
A high flow intake and a good size exhaust will help with turbo lag. I doubt there is anything aftermarket yet for the CRD so your pretty much going to be stuck making your own parts.

AAFD

Reaction score
Small turbos come up faster, larger units boost longer but the CRD liberty has a variable Geometry unit that should do both.

KC

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My lag was up to 2 full seconds before the turbo kicked in at 2000 RPM. After the EGR was replaced the lag is about .5 seconds. I see you have a 03. You could have a ERG problem of some type. Lets start at looking at the intercooler pipe from the IC to the engine. Is it full of oil, them the EGR mixing valve may be stuck/clogged just like the VW TDI are having. Note the EGR system is made ot two parts. The EGR valve, on yours I think it is located behind the turbo and vacummed operated and the EGR mixing valve, located on the intack manifold.

Dwight

Reaction score
If it is an 03, it isn't US made and doesn't have variable geometry from what I have read. Perhaps figure out how to get the US chip and turbo?

-Dwight

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A larger turbo back exhaust is a must for slowing turbo lag; it will also help create higher boost levels. I put a 3" stainless TBE on my Subaru and it's one of the best mods to date. I'm not sure how the Jeeps are laid out, but a short-ram intake (replaces the stock snorkel) will also help. A smaller turbo will reduce max boost, so that probably ins't a viable solution.

CaliCRD

Reaction score
AEM is working on a high flow intake for the CRDs. It won't be out for two to three months though. They are using ours for a prototype. I will post the results here in three weeks.

CaliCRD

Reaction score
AEM is working on a high flow intake for the CRDs. It won't be out for two to three months though. They are using ours for a prototype. I will post the results here in three weeks.

CaliCRD

Reaction score

AAFD

Reaction score
CaliCRD said:

Intake and exhaust would be a good first start.

KC