CRD geek time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derek Mc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a post a few pages back about the lag you experience on the CRD. In the UK where we are going more and more down the diesel route in all four wheel cars and SUV's, the variable geometry Turbo has become the norm. What it does is adjust the vane angle at idle to remain at a certain speed whilst idling, however the deceleration phase and backpressure generated kills the boost completely so what we are getting fitted in this country to Turbo engines that do suffer some lag is a recycling wastegate, this kills backpressure and allows the spool up time to be drastically reduced. It first came to light on the GTO and Supra Turbo imports from Japan sector as a perf aid, but now is seen more and more on upper end TDI sedan and saloon's
Also driving a Diesel does need a different manner to a petrol in any case it is totally rev sensitive and if you work at it can be made to hustle along with real verve, I also have a diesel company car in addition to the Cherokee and the V12 and with thought it can keep pace with a lot larger (faster) engined cars by driving around the Turbo.
Also, I drove my CRD Ltd on test with just 6 miles on the clock and it is VERY tight more than any diesel I have ever seen. I had a spin in their demo with 11,000 on it and found it much more responsive like "is this the same engine really" different, some engines just seem to need many thousands to loosen up hopefully that will help too.

Derek Mc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.0 CRD V6 is another refugee Mercedes engine though this time it is a brand new engine launched across the Merc range simoltaneously, it is a muscular lump for sure and sounds very rich and creamy for a diesel, enough to make the V6 CRD as quick to 60 as the 4.7 V8
It is not intended for the KJ however ](*,)

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reckon it would be a nice addition to the KJ range..... 3.0l V6 diesel on an auto 'box with quadradrive II.

Now that'd be something!

Ian