Trying to replace speakers in 2002 Jeep Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2008SRT4

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am trying to replace the front door speakers on my girl friends 2002 Jeep Liberty. It has the infinity sound system and it has amps on each one of the speakers in the front doors. Can I replace these with an aftermarket speaker while leaving the stock headunit and amps in? If so how?

I was going to mount the amps to the door frame and extend the wires to the speakers. A few people told me that the speakers wouldn't work right without buying a head unit and runing speaker wires to the doors.

The stock speakers are 180 a peice and I would rather go with aftermarket speakers but my girlfriend wants to keep her stock head unit. Let me know if you guys have any idea what to do or if this is even possible?

Thanks for your help!

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would really rip all of the OEM stuff out and just replace with aftermarket (wiring and all) if it's time for new speakers.

To save yourself the trouble - send it to an audio shop and let them do the labor...

You can not just replace the OEM speaker with an aftermarket unit if you have the Infinty amp setup.

2008SRT4

Reaction score
I would really rip all of the OEM stuff out and just replace with aftermarket (wiring and all) if it's time for new speakers.

To save yourself the trouble - send it to an audio shop and let them do the labor...

You can not just replace the OEM speaker with an aftermarket unit if you have the Infinty amp setup.

I actually searched the forums and found this thread on how to do what I'm trying to do. I really don't see why this wouldn't work.

Check it out and let me know what you think!

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39415&highlight=Infinity+door+Speaker

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KB is still very active here on the boards... maybe he can update you on the results of his refoaming project. I never even really thought about refoaming.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey did someone call my name??? LOL

Yep, whats wrong with those front speakers, are they totally shot or is the foam surround on them just cracked and falling apart? I had that problem in my 03' and i refoamed the speakers and they sound like new again.

Otherwise that other thread you linked to works as well. Just keep the stock amp/crossover units and run wires to a new set of speakers. I suggest you measure the resistance of the stock speaker coils though to get replacements of the same resistance otherwise you will get a mismatch and affect output of the amps.

Costs about $20 and few hours to refoam them, then give them a day for the glue to cure before using and your right back in business.

I wrote up a how-to on refoaming them, unfortunately somehow the pictures went AWOL for the post and i haven't been able to find/recover them yet. But its pretty easy. If you do a search on refoaming on YouTube you will see lots of neat videos with people showing how to refoam a speaker. The Infinity ones are really easy, you cut off the old foam, scrape the metal surround clean, glue the foam surround to the cone and give it an hour to dry, then glue it to the metal surround. Take the mesh screen and clean the bottom of the plastic, some of the foam will come off with it when you remove it, and then apply a bit of glue to it and press it in place. Set the speaker upside down and put some weight on it and give it an hour or two for it to dry. Reinstall and give it a day to make sure its all cured and then blast away!!

Mine have been holding up perfectly, and i don't play my music quiet.

2008SRT4

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find the refoam kit anywhere and I think the pictures expired on your how to on it. I think I can do an aftermarket speaker as long as it is a 6.5" 2 ohm midbass driver. I found a infinity component kit that comes with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-6030CS...ViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item3efa9cc272

It also comes with the tweeters and crossovers so if a go this route I will probably get the tweeter adapters and replace them too.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decided not to use the factory amp/crossovers and want to sell the complete front speakers for the cost of shipping let me know, i can always use another pair to refoam.

I have bought a few out of junkyards and refoamed them now.