Trying to remove Driver's Side Pillar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing an otis unit in my '04 Rocky Mountain Edition. I have read how the pillars have torx screws, but when I took my covers off, they were hexnuts instead. I have a hard time getting any of my sockets in there because the hole is not large enough. For the sockets that fit my screwdriver, they are either too large or too small. Does anyone know what size those are, so I can get that piece off and continue my install? (I would assume those would need to come off in order to take the pillar off). Also, are there any tabs on the panel directly below the steering wheel, as I understand the panel flips right down. I can't seem to get it, and I don't want to break any pieces using excessive force (Aeh)

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stackthepads30 said:
Does anyone know what size those are, so I can get that piece off and continue my install?

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=642
You can pick one up (or a full 1/4 drive extension set) at Sears

stackthepads30 said:
Also, are there any tabs on the panel directly below the steering wheel, as I understand the panel flips right down.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
You'll find it about half way down on P. 2

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, guys. I bought my 1/4 drive 7/32 socket at Sears for 3 dollars and Found the retaining clips on the lower panel. I made my wiring harness and ran it through the headliner and under the dash where now I just have to solder my 3 wires off the datalink connector and 1 wire off the cigarette lighter, and I'm all set. \:D/

Latest posts

Members online