Trouble in Paradise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trouble in Paradise - Metal "dragging" sound

Just got my jeep home... and I should have known better, crappy day...

On the way home, bout 1/2 mile from the house, noticed while the windows down, the sound of "metal dragging". I cant tell if its from the front or back of the undercarrage. Only happens when im moving. While idling, everything sounds fine.

Called the dealership, "Bring it in and we'll figure out what's going on and fix it for you, free of charge". Cool, i thought. "I'll bring it in tomorrow if you all dont mind." They said "Sounds great! See you then".

AND THEN

Was showing the wife how to shift into 4H ... then 4L... and then... while getting ready to put it back into normal (2 wheel) ...*SNAP* handle went down WAY too fast. *sigh*

Called the dealership again... "You're kidding me!" was their reply. Thankfully they gave me a loaner ... *ugh* minivan. They are towing the jeep back to their service dept tomorrow, again, free of charge, and fixing that, again, free of charge....

*sigh*

Anyone know what the metal sound might be? Thank god for warranties!

--Zach

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can think of a few things it could be.
But if its going to brake let it do it when its covered by the deal.
So when you get it back check eveything out good and go test it out as long its covered by the dealer and you can get a loaner.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes and cable likly Like I said a few things I could go on and on with out knowing more info
Let us know what thay did and check it your self and test it when you get it back.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a transfer case issue to me, since it's coming in and out of 2WD.

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not coming in and out of 2wd, i was doing that manually to show wifey how to do it. (which is how I broke the cable or where the cable attaches to handle). The sound was happening before then, while I was driving.

I will have them check the brakes, and also ****** just to see if they can find the issue. They are a jeep dealership, so hopefully they can find it.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking two isues 1st like brakes maybe hub bearing or CV joint then 2nd isue Tcase

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to drive it to see if the noise still happens if Im going down the road at speed, and shift into neutral. That would help, but the thing is stuck in 4Lo.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my jeep home... and I should have known better, crappy day...

On the way home, bout 1/2 mile from the house, noticed while the windows down, the sound of "metal dragging". I cant tell if its from the front or back of the undercarrage. Only happens when im moving. While idling, everything sounds fine.

Called the dealership, "Bring it in and we'll figure out what's going on and fix it for you, free of charge". Cool, i thought. "I'll bring it in tomorrow if you all dont mind." They said "Sounds great! See you then".

AND THEN

Was showing the wife how to shift into 4H ... then 4L... and then... while getting ready to put it back into normal (2 wheel) ...*SNAP* handle went down WAY too fast. *sigh*

Called the dealership again... "You're kidding me!" was their reply. Thankfully they gave me a loaner ... *ugh* minivan. They are towing the jeep back to their service dept tomorrow, again, free of charge, and fixing that, again, free of charge....

*sigh*

Anyone know what the metal sound might be? Thank god for warranties!

--Zach

Stuck brake caliper is one possibility.

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just talked with the dealership to see if they have the transfer case cable assembly in stock and if I could get a 'spare' one so if this happens again to me, i can fix. 250.00 for the entire assembly AND its on nationwide backorder.

Anyone know where I can get one?

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow! i'd say talk to one of the local wrecking yards that is on what they used to call the "hot line" (not sure what it's called now), but they are in contact with other wrecking yards across the country. They put an order in for it, and if someone has it... they get the info on it and let you know.
This is of course going to be a used part, and some people have huge aversions to putting used parts on their vehicle...
Also if this is a common breakage like the window regulators... someone may have invented a fix for it that has nothing to do with Jeep company... try searching the web for transfer case cable fix or conversion... maybe something will turn up. It also might be possible to fabricate something better... you might be the person who invents it...

Last edited:

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its at the dealership, and they have it on the lift now. Waiting for the call to tell me what all is wrong. I'll post an update when I get it.

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got her back. They manually placed it in to 2H. She is running perfectly, no grinding, no rubbing, smooth shifting, excellent acceleration.

The cable assembly is on backorder and they think it might in after a week or two. I am going to hit some junkyards that have liberties and see what I can scavenge.

Thanks all for everything. Pics to follow in the morning.