Treadwrights??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moab

Reaction score
Is there antything on the sidewall of a Treadwright tire? The tread looks just like the old MTR's

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You get to pick the "casings (I think they're called that)" ....and depending on what's available, you'll get it.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A lot of folks run them without issues, ridenby does, liberty84 I believe, probably a few more.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Look over a lot of different forums, lots of people run them with no issues. I ran them for 1500 miles and took a set off. They are a lot heavier than say a regular MTR etc.
Oh and the term is casing, not casting ;)

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I just have a hard time justifying the price difference between a NEW $200 tire and one of these tires that is $90 ish...

IF theyre reliable ( seems they are ) and they honor their product ( seems they do) it sounds liek a win win..

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know, but a tire blowing at speed in a lifted Jeep isn't the time to find out you got cheap tires....

I guess you do run a blow out risk with any tire, but I feel it's more likely with retreads.

To me at least, it's worth it to buy tires new, you know their history....
Either way, it's not my ride home... :)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Not going to hate on the tires for being retreads, but here's some food for thought:

You can get tires that will last twice as long for less than twice the money, installed.
Those tires will get better wet traction than the tires that these tires are modeled after.

Sure, less money up front, but just bringing up an important point. Most of you guys don't drive 25-30k miles a year, so it may not be a big issue.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
so you can let me google this for you to a google page that has $230-300 tires listed... thats not helping your case for value there buddy lol

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
STT's are expensive. Almost as much as BFG MT's or Kevlar MT/R's
The ST's generally run 130-150 a tire installed for 245/75-16s

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Have Treadwright "Crawler MT" ,like them,have about 25-30thou on them,might be 1/2 worn,pull well as any other tame MT,not too loud on the road,heavy tire about 55lbs.each,no flats,or other issues with them. Brother has a set that maybe 200m road,10,000m of woods,rock,clay,still look new.Have run Treadwrights in past on F-450,they wore like iron there.

dogem

Reaction score
i'm interested in these too. the Guard-Dog MT. Anyone have these?
http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/36/sename/24575r16-guard-dog-mt-e.aspx

I'm interested in knowing how loud they are.

I just put these on mine in a 265/70/16 on stock rims. Tom is right they are a heavy tire and take allot of weight to balance. Trying to keep the weight down and ride soft with a mud tire I went with the P rating, should have went with the C or D, they wander a little on the rear at highway speed. As for noise.................... yep they are loud. I run 35" KM2's on my F150 and they are quiet, these have a distinct buzz. I have never owned MTR's but if I paid 200 bucks for new compared to 65 for these, I would have been disappointed. So far they are holding up and look great. Mine were all Michelin casings, kind of depends on the size you get as to what brand of casing. I ordered five and all match and were less than 500 shipped. For a hunting vehicle with little highway travel they will work fine for me, as a daily commuter, I would try a less aggressive tread pattern.

Last edited:

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running the Guard Dogs for about five-six months now in the 245/75/16; so about 5000 miles. I really like them. I had the GY MT/R's as my previous set of tires and they did well off-road except they chunked horribly. They lasted about 13,000 miles before they were chunked so bad they couldn't be balanced. The TW's are holding up much better. No chunking in the rocks, and they have been wearing nice and even on the street. They are also noticeably quieter on the street; the tread pattern seems to be a little more compressed compared to real MT/R's. They have been awesome off-road as far as traction and I air them down to 15psi and have had no problems. When I called an ordered mine, they said they only use the GY MT/R casings; I don't know if that is just for this tread pattern or all their tires. Their customer service was awesome too. If these tires continue to perform and wear like they have been, I will absolutely be buying a new set of TW's when these give up the ghost.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you see a gas mileage difference running retreads vs non-retreads?
heavier normally means more energy to start and stop.

Members online

No members online now.