Transmission Temp Measuring, Is it possible from the OBDII port?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a MaxiTrip OBDII reader in my 04 Jeep Liberty Sport for some time now. It displays the coolant temp but not the transmission temp.
Tonight I bought an Innova 3211 Bluetooth code reader for $120 with the expectation that it would display the transmission temp but it doesn't.
Does anybody have a OBDII reader that does display the transmission temp?
Maybe it's not supported.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the elm327 no trans temp gives me intake and coolant. As well as a few other things with the dash command app but no trans temp.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Na your right you could get a kj for $5k. Thats what my 02 cost with only 100k miles. Granted the cel was on for an evap leak and the windshield was cracked and the battery looked original. Almost 4 years later she is still running strong.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a "scan gauge" hooked up and it doesn't (won't) read ****** temp. Also have a Innova $100 OBD11 gauge that works good for generic and some other codes but will not pick up ****** temps or a lot of codes like ABS codes, etc. You need a real expensive professional reader like tjkj has. Most people can't justify the cost if they are not using it professionally.

Dave

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have the in radiator trans cooled wouldnt that mean my trans fluid temp should be about the same as the HOAT coolant temp in the radiator.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe tjkj could give some input on that if my coolant temp is reading 200 degrees is it possible for the trans to be cooler.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have the in radiator trans cooled wouldnt that mean my trans fluid temp should be about the same as the HOAT coolant temp in the radiator.

Maybe tjkj could give some input on that if my coolant temp is reading 200 degrees is it possible for the trans to be cooler.
The engine temp is read in the engine,the drivers side(input side) of the radiator can be that same temp the ECT is reading but it's always a few degrees cooler.

With a 100% functioning cooling system the passengers side of the radiator that houses the trans cooler should be 30-40 degrees cooler then what the ECT is reading.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine temp is read in the engine,the drivers side(input side) of the radiator can be that same temp the ECT is reading but it's always a few degrees cooler.

With a 100% functioning cooling system the passengers side of the radiator that houses the trans cooler should be 30-40 degrees cooler then what the ECT is reading.

thanks for the input i am pretty sure my system is functioning at 100% just put a new water pump new hoses new radiator new thermostat and a new belt. I think it would be safe to say then if the coolant is showing 200 degrees my transmission should be running 20-30 degrees cooer. As long as the atf is being cooled and sent back properly.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Separate electrical temp gauge wired and Sensor installed to pan.
The PML aluminum pan has 1.5 quarts over stock for the 42RLE and is ready to accommodate a temp sensor. :gr_grin:

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the PML pan and an Autometer gauge in mine. I have pictures in the "Members' Journals" section. Hardest part was figuring out where to run the wiring. Hope this helps.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just have my temperature sender on the hot transmission line coming from the transmission. The one I am talking about is the top transmission oil cooler line. Just a big FYI when you put a deeper transmission oil pan on you need a extended transmission oil filter.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I returned the Innova 3211 Bluetooth code reader.
It was simply too cumbersome to use.
The Innova app for my Android Galaxy SIII cell phone wouldn't work with it and the Apple app didn't work well either.
The Bluetooth connection was hit or miss and you needed to be online to use the code reader.

My son made a good point to me the other day. Perhaps the Jeep Liberty's transmission temp sensor is merely a switch and not a sensor.
That would explain why the OBDII port doesn't provide a transmission temp value.
I'll have to read the Liberty's service manual tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will find that unless you have a DRBIII scan tool you can not read the transmission temperature so your best bet would be to just install a transmission temperature gauge. Once you do get a transmission temperature gauge you will see that the jeeps transmission cooler does not do a good job of cooling the transmission fluid.