Transmission Filter Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of stuck in the middle of my transmission filter/fluid change here. I have taken the pan and both filters off so far, but am having a hard time getting this o-ring out. Am I missing something here, is this supposed to stay? Got a pick set, but this thing isn't budging. Tried a heat gun to loosen it up, but no luck. Any ideas?

Also had to purchase a new transmission pan because the flange is raised on almost every bolt hole. The last place to do transmission work on Mindy didn't completely remove the RTV, which lead to it having a few small leaks. I suppose they're the culprit behind the bent flange as well. Such is life.

[emoji58][emoji118]

You must be registered for see images attach

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgGW5ty_QmI

Yea, I understand the basics of this. My specific question is, how do I get the o-ring out, or is that piece that is pictured even supposed to come out. Different transmission than the video, and therefore a different o-ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A small ball peen hammer would have taken care of the flanges. Did the new filter come with a new o-ring? If so an ice pick will get it out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A small ball peen hammer would have taken care of the flanges. Did the new filter come with a new o-ring? If so an ice pick will get it out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Very true, that would have done the job. I started working on the holes with a piece of brass stock and a small hammer, then I realized it wasn't going to be flawless, paint on pan was chipping, and there was old rtv that needed to be scrapped off. 45$ for the new one verses a few hours of hammering then painting, easy choice.

Started off trying with needle nose pliers to grab the lower ledge and inside. Then I used snap ring pliers to try and pick into the top edge and pull down. I brought the heat gun into the equation with no luck. Then I bought a pick set and was using the various ones to try and pry it out, but it's really stuck in there. Perhaps there's a ledge above it that I'm hooking onto, but when I plunge into the rubber side and pull it doesn't budge and instead just rips apart. I really hope that I'm just being dense and making a simple mistake, but it seems good and stuck.

Also did the serpentine belt and tensioner today. This is all part of the 200k service, and preparation for a trip in August.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you use a diagonal cutter to break it apart?

I do have a dremel with metal cut wheels. Seems relatively dangerous to get up in there with that. I'm concerned with even marring the inside with the metal picks, let alone cutting through and making a gouge.

If all else fails then I'll use the dremel. Thank you for the input.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get the o-ring out. It was quite a task, enlisted my neighbor for help, asked the guys at napa, everyone was kind of stumped. Ended up prying it out with the end of a wrench that I ground the corners off of to make it more smooth. Was able to spin it using a flat head screwdriver and a hammer, then used the leverage the wrench provided to pry it out.

I realized it's supposed to be very tight when I put the new one in. It didn't want to go in with just the force I could apply with my hand, and I ended up using a socket to seat it. After that no problems with the rest of the process.

Here's the old o-ring

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I considered using a cutting tool but was overly concerned about marring the surface that the o-ring seats in. All in all, was a pain in the ass to get out, but glad its done and that I didn't pay $350 for it!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Glad you got it out! The new one should be a gentle press fit, or gentle tap in. The flange doesn't need to be hammered down flat.

I think mine came out with a little screwdriver. Dyikes would work too. Dremel could add some grit and swarf you wouldn't want in there.

BTW It's a seal, not an o-ring. O-rings have no metal flange and have a round cross-section.