Transmission fill level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a bit of help on the transmission fill level.

I have an 07 with no dipstick and a stock pan. I understand 2006 came with a dipstick I can probably buy and check the fluid with less frustration. On the other hand maybe there is a reason they removed the dipstick other than to make it a pain for me?

When I pull my vin it says I have the 42RLE VLP trans. VLP variable line pressure I assume.

I have found that I can follow the 07 check proceedure by just wiping down my oil dipstick, and using it, then measuring the trans fluid level on the stick by the chart I've found for this. The only thing is, I cannot read the actual temperature.

What I have done is measured cold, measured warmed up in the driveway, and measured after driving a bit. I think the measuring after driving a while is the correct way to ensure it is up to temperature. That is what I see in the service repair manual anyways. I do see why now that they read the temperature because the level increases with temperature.

I figure one of you guys has the actual measuring tool and the accompanying paperwork, along with more experience than me on getting the level right. So what is your fluid level in MM or inches after driving around?

Part of me thinks I am over-thinking this because I read where wrangler guys overfill the 42rle for trailing and say it does no harm, prevents sucking air on steep inclines. Some even say they fill it and add an extra quart. But I have also read that overfilling can cause foaming because it gets into the gears. And then I go back to that's maybe why they started putting a cap instead of a dipstick so the typical person doesn't accidentally overfill.

Putting the dipstick in until it touches the pan as you would with the tool, and then measuring I'm at 30mm after starting up and shifting through the gears on a warm day. 35mm after letting it run until the cooling fan kicks on. And 45mm after driving around a while.

That sound correct? Or how much should I try adding? 4oz? 8oz? 12oz? 1/2 quart? Don't want to have to be trying to **** it back out. Thanks!

If it's not all that critical really I'm gonna just get a dipstick for an 06 for future use.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
There is an actual dip stick you can buy
Several people i have talked to have it
Some one will pop up with the right place to get it
If it was me I certainly would not be guessing how much is too much or not enough
Another reason I dislike the later model KJs

Transmission Dipstick for Jeep Liberty Patriot Dodge Nitro Caliber Charger Chrysler 300 Town Country 2.7 3.5 3.6 3.7 5.7 6.1 6.4 CVT Automatic Transmission Fluid Dipstick 9336A 8863B 42RLE NAG1 62TE​

AMAZON $13.98
DORMAN HAS ONE AT AUT_ZONE for 20 bucks or so
many others available that I found

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tried using the oil dipstick on my 08 and found it bends when it is supposed to touch the bottom of the pan and stop, thus giving me incorrect measurements. It says I have more fluid in there than I do. I recommend the aftermarket one.

For transmission temperatures, there are two ways you can get this: 1) with a Scangauge or other reader, from the transmission temperature sensor, or 2) with an infrared thermometer gun pointed at the pan below the level of the fluid.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I taped a temp probe from my multi-meter to the end of the dip stick and stuck it down in there. Measured both the temp and the level.

IR temp gun probably also works. I should try both and see what each say.

budget76

Reaction score
I changed my liberty oil pan from stock factory to amazon pan WITH DRAIN PLUG. I use one of those multi purpose dip sticks, to measure. Concerned that new pan was deeper so the oil level gauge goes "lower" due to deeper pan. If you replace the pan, you will need add more tran fluid once done, but how much??? measure "depth" of stock and new pan to take into consideration. Also temperature, I use a 15$ temperature gun on the tran pan so i know how "hot". I drain and fill every 30,000 miles. I "think" this is good as oil is always pretty with no smell. (highway use east coast).

Last edited:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
If you have a good reading on the dipstick with the old pan it should be the same reading with the new pan. The deeper pan will need more ATF to fill but the dipstick, and oil pickup, should remain the same... unless I'm wrong agin.

budget76

Reaction score
followup; depth and oil level.
since the cheap general purpose dip stick touches the bottom of the oil pan, it does not reflect the level with reference to the pickup tube and filter, but reflects the pan base. So for crazy example, if the old pan measures at 70MM, a deep deep new pan which is 30MM deeper/lower should measure 70 + 30 = 100MM at same level. That is all. Hope it makes sense. I just want pan changers to be aware and measure when they do a pan change, and do it often now that they have a drain plug. Was sooo easy with a plug to do a drain and fill. Jeep saved sooo much money NOT giving us a plug on the stock pan and NOT giving us a proper dip stick. #$%%@!!!! them. Maybe someday they will save more money by not giving us an engine drain plug...