transmission cooler line leaking: HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yosemite.kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done searching through 13 pages of "how to" threads to see if anyone has replaced the transmission cooler lines. I might of missed it so if there is one please help me find it. The one I need to replace is the lower of the two where they are connected to the trans. and then goes into the left side of the cooler when looking at the truck from the front. I have included a pic. You can sort of see the fluid on the steering boot below. Seems straight forward enough to do, but I have a few questions.
I know I'm going to lose fluid when I take off the old one, but how much should I expect? I was going to try to catch the fluid to see how much is lost, and replace it with new. Since there is no trans. dipstick I guess that's all I can do to have the proper level in there, right? Any advise on how to do this would be awesome. Which side to take off first? etc... The site is really help full, so much to learn, thanks to all that participate on the site.

Attachments

• DSCN2026.jpg
    DSCN2026.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 77

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lines come as a set so your going to end up replacing both anyways.It's not hard but can be fun snaking them in correctly,more so if doing on the ground as on a lift makes it alot easier.

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ is going into the shop tomorrow for the same lower line beginning to leak. The dealership quoted me 200 for both lines, and to have them installed it was going to be 375 total, and since I don't have the time or even the right tools to do it, I am just going to have them do the change out. Good luck with yours by the way.

yosemite.kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks tj, now I have more questions

The lines come as a set so your going to end up replacing both anyways.It's not hard but can be fun snaking them in correctly,more so if doing on the ground as on a lift makes it alot easier.

So it's impossible to just do one, I don't understand why? I have to replace both? That really sux as the top one doesn't look very easy to get a wrench on. Now I have a new problem, Napa doesn't carry it and they said no other parts stores will, and to go to a dealer. The nearest Dealer is 75 miles round trip. I hate giving the stealership any more money than I all ready am every month. I guess it's time to thaw out the motorcycle and go for a brisk 35 degree ride to get the parts! What should I do about the fluid that comes out when I take off the old ones? Try to catch it and put that much new in? Which end should I take off first? Are the threads normal or opposite? I'd like to get all the information I can before I start. I hate when I get ahead of myself and make a hash of it.

Last edited: