Transmision Fluid recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I 2 qts of the ATF that I won a MOAB a few years ago and the PS system was the only system that I could use it in,new pump,lines, and Ford box so why not been working good so far.

I'd have done the same. Shame you didn't win the Atlas spec'd Amsoil MTG GL-4 in Moab.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Source for all that info?

"The ATF+4® specification requires a unique additive system supplied by Lubrizol and extra high viscosity index base oils."

From here: http://www.centerforqa.com/licensingprogram.html

Amsoil Did not submit for licensing which is the real reason they are not on the list. As far as anyone knows, Amsoil Could have the exact same additive package and then some, they are not sharing That info w/ anyone.

But it can't be both "the exact same" and "then some". If they add to the add pack, it's not the "exact same".

Can anyone Prove that there is a magical potion in ATF+4 that can't be duplicated or bettered?.

Please stop with the "magic" stuff. No one has said that except you. The point is that ATF+4 has very different frictional characteristics than, say, Dex III. So how can a fluid be optimized to work in both applications at the same time? That's my point: it can't; it's a compromise. It's like saying, "Here's a universal oil. It'll work equally well in applications that spec 5W20 and those that call for 15W40 or even 20W50." Then if someone questions it, just ask, "What's so magical about 5W20?"

Don't let Chryslers center for QA fool ya, because they own the ATF+4 trademark, you gotta pay to say it meets their specs/formulation.

Exactly my point: the fluid must meet their formulation.

black snow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF+4 it is...

since the manual says it is what it is recomending, I am to follow that... but my main problem is looking for the said fluid. I was able to find 3 bottles of Castrol ATF+4 in the nearby Wal-mart but that's the only bottles they got. No more for their stock.

And then repair shops like Canadian Tire wont let you in the working area to see if they raelly have the right stuff..

Would like ask those living in the northern part of this continent (canada) to make suggestions where they are doing this transmission fluid changes / flush.

thanks....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF+4 it is...

since the manual says it is what it is recomending, I am to follow that... but my main problem is looking for the said fluid. I was able to find 3 bottles of Castrol ATF+4 in the nearby Wal-mart but that's the only bottles they got. No more for their stock.

And then repair shops like Canadian Tire wont let you in the working area to see if they raelly have the right stuff..

Would like ask those living in the northern part of this continent (canada) to make suggestions where they are doing this transmission fluid changes / flush.

thanks....
The dealership is the only safe place.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the dealer. I had mine done here in Bonnyville, AB. It cost less than $250 for a flush, filter and refill plus they flash the trans ecm to get it to re-learn how I drive. It's a no brainer. Go to AutoClearing, just south of Circle drive on Idylwyld or go to Dodge City, just south of 8th E and west of Circle Dr. Not only do they have the right equipment, they have the right filters and fluid. Plus, if they mess up your trans, they are way more likely to help you than CT's service dept.

black snow

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do not?

Dont what?

Go to the dealer. I had mine done here in Bonnyville, AB. It cost less than $250 for a flush, filter and refill plus they flash the trans ecm to get it to re-learn how I drive. It's a no brainer. Go to AutoClearing, just south of Circle drive on Idylwyld or go to Dodge City, just south of 8th E and west of Circle Dr. Not only do they have the right equipment, they have the right filters and fluid. Plus, if they mess up your trans, they are way more likely to help you than CT's service dept.

Thanks... I made a call to Autoclearing and will do the fluiid change with them. Thanks!

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MotoMaster ATF+4 is on the approved list, but, like I said, you'll get better support from a dealer. I could get mine done at the CanadianTire here but I'd rather make the 40min drive to Bonnyville and get stuff done at the dealer. It works, so far I've cultivated a pretty good relationship with them and they give me good advice, great discounts on parts and stellar service. All those are rare qualities and absolutely worth my extra effort.

I hope you get the same sort of service in S'toon. If you don't, Bonnyville is a short 5 hour drive from there.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MotoMaster ATF+4 is on the approved list, but, like I said, you'll get better support from a dealer. I could get mine done at the CanadianTire here but I'd rather make the 40min drive to Bonnyville and get stuff done at the dealer. It works, so far I've cultivated a pretty good relationship with them and they give me good advice, great discounts on parts and stellar service. All those are rare qualities and absolutely worth my extra effort.

I hope you get the same sort of service in S'toon. If you don't, Bonnyville is a short 5 hour drive from there.
Never ever go to Canadian Tire for service. They hire kids that don't know what they are doing. Go to the dealer!