Transfer Case Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 03 Liberty with 45RFE Transmission and considering swapping out my command-trac transfer case to Selec-trac. In my ventures i ran into compatibility issue and hoping someone can clear this up. There are seem to be several different kinds of Selec-trac t-case, there is Np242, Np242J, then there are some that only fit 05-07 Liberties. Anyone knows which transfer case fits 03 Liberty with 45RFE?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Always curious as to why someone wants a Selectrac
One of mine has it ( the 05 ) and never drive it in the winter due to that
Would only be one that fits the 05-07s

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the usual reason, I figure it would be much more convenient to drive when the conditions are on the edge. Wouldn’t have to constantly shifting in and out of 4wd.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All the usual reason, I figure it would be much more convenient to drive when the conditions are on the edge. Wouldn’t have to constantly shifting in and out of 4wd.
I never shift mine in and out ( command trac )
A really good set of tires that are snow rated will make a ton of difference
For example on my 04 with 265-75-16 Duratracs I went through snow that had ice underneath and was 8-10 inches on the roads in two wheel drive . Over 140 miles and never used 4 wheel drive at all.
I mean it maybe nice to put it in 4 high in September and leave it till Aprril, but I see no need.
Tires and actually knowing how to drive in those conditions is way more useful than 4 wheel locked in 100 per cent of the time
Of course I grew up before everyone had a 4 WD, and people around here still call vehicles with full time 4WD/ ALL Wheel Drive City cars

James Akemon

Reaction score
You'd be better served by going the FB group Jeep Liberty KJ and asking Mike Davis. He will most likely answer your questions.

J.C.

Reaction score
Why would it be better then full time?
In "Full Time", the centre diff is unlocked, so if any wheel starts spinning, there is no drive to the three other wheels.
In "Part Time" the centre diff is locked, and drive to front and back diffs is split about 40/60, so then you need one front and one rear wheel to start slipping before you lose drive.

As you should be aware, Part Time is not to be used on hard/grippy surfaces.

crz4prez

Reaction score
Always curious as to why someone wants a Selectrac
One of mine has it ( the 05 ) and never drive it in the winter due to that
Would only be one that fits the 05-07s
I would have to agree with Tom. I have selectrac, I just have not found a use for it yet. Possibly town driving at low speeds when you have snowpack and ice plus dry pavement in a stop and go situation. Definitely not something you want to use in the same conditions at highway speeds. I'm not going to lie, I was glad to see it when I got the Jeep but have definitely been underwhelmed by its function.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using full-time 4WD most of the time. Holds much better in turns than rear wheel drive. It can be used in paved streets, whereas the part-time 4WD cannot.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Tom. I have selectrac, I just have not found a use for it yet. Possibly town driving at low speeds when you have snowpack and ice plus dry pavement in a stop and go situation. Definitely not something you want to use in the same conditions at highway speeds. I'm not going to lie, I was glad to see it when I got the Jeep but have definitely been underwhelmed by its function
Weird because I almost always use full time and never part time. It might be THE most useful feature on a 4x4 kj. Ft=awd pt=4wd. And in that sense I use ft in slushy winters conditions which often alternate between dry pavement and full ice. Can’t effectively use pt or 2wd for those conditions - it’s why Subarus and other awds are the dominate 4wd platform now.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 03 Liberty with 45RFE Transmission and considering swapping out my command-trac transfer case to Selec-trac. In my ventures i ran into compatibility issue and hoping someone can clear this up. There are seem to be several different kinds of Selec-trac t-case, there is Np242, Np242J, then there are some that only fit 05-07 Liberties. Anyone knows which transfer case fits 03 Liberty with 45RFE?
You can install 242 from early Kjs and certain wjs. I think the wjs 242 may need a few parts to properly fit.