trans temp light... another issue after dealer service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
IF it smells bad it probably is....burnt.. A trans flush will be required !
Generally if the trans temp light has come on the fluid has overheated and the friction modifiers are weakened or known as toast LOL.
If you plan on doing the PML pan route, what you could do in the meantime is suction out as much fluid through the dipstick tube, and get some fresh ATF+4 in there.
Once the Pan arrives do the dealer flush & install PML pan then.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF it smells bad it probably is....burnt.. A trans flush will be required !
Generally if the trans temp light has come on the fluid has overheated and the friction modifiers are weakened or known as toast LOL.
If you plan on doing the PML pan route, what you could do in the meantime is suction out as much fluid through the dipstick tube, and get some fresh ATF+4 in there.
Once the Pan arrives do the dealer flush & install PML pan then.

Friction modifier? That something in the trans oil? I might just do the flush now... In a couple months get the pan and just drain and fill myself without a flush. I don't feel comfortable driving around in the mean time without a flush.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is some flexibility in the zones. You should check the fluid on level ground,hot after driving for 20 minutes + and yes Neutral, brake on, wheel blocks would not hurt either.
Does the +4 still look clean nice and bright, no foul smell?
Drove it for 30 minutes and checked it like you said. It's about a half inch over the highest hot hole on the dip stick.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Having a complete flush is the best solution which guarantees all new ATF+4 throughout system. They will run about 10 Liters though the system which also replaces what was in the torque converter.
I would think the dealer also electronically will instruct a relearn or new fluid mode. I also requested that if there was any software updates for shift points etc that they re-flash the PCM...but I was under warranty then. If you have no shifting issues, I think u can skip that info.
ATF+4 is a synthetic stock fluid and is highly friction modified. Offers High heat/pressure stability and has anti foaming characteristics.
As the temperature rises in the fluid so does the level on the dipstick.
On a hot day & drive, I think mine is also about a half inch above hot mark. I think KJ likes that LOL...as long as there are no foaming or bubbles ur good on that one.
One bonus thing to add to fluid that helps to restore the modifiers and will reduce fluid temps is this product by Lubgard. I use it and the KJ seems to shift smoother and the fluid temps are a bit cooler with it installed.
I added one bottle after flush.
LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant
:icon_idea: :burnout: drive.gif

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found an hd fan and shroud locally for $40... Doesn't come with the mechanical fan. Is it worth it for me to grab it now and then track down the mechanical fan later?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found an hd fan and shroud locally for $40... Doesn't come with the mechanical fan. Is it worth it for me to grab it now and then track down the mechanical fan later?

If you want hd cooling heck ya! Then you only need a fan clutch and the fan. The clutch you can get on summit racing and the fan from one of the mopar overstock parts sites. There is a how to on here somewhere with all the links and such.

Kj/toy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At what temperature does the trans light come on? Does anyone know temperature wise what is a good operating temperature range?

Kj/toy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to replace the oil pan I'd drill out a spot in it for an auxiliary temperature sensor.
The Liberty seems to lack one.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Good advice...I took mine(trans. Pan) back off to drill and tap for this very task.....

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Troy do you know...since the auto 42RLE temp sensor is part of the the transmission range sensor, and that the thermistor that the PCM uses to monitor the actual transmission’s sump temperature...is this trans temp available to see by use by any reader or only a Star Scan system? I have never been able to see in OBD2 the trans temp..just curious..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy do you know...since the auto 42RLE temp sensor is part of the the transmission range sensor, and that the thermistor that the PCM uses to monitor the actual transmission’s sump temperature...is this trans temp available to see by use by any reader or only a Star Scan system? I have never been able to see in OBD2 the trans temp..just curious..
All of your basic "code pullers" that display live data will not show Chryslers trans temp PID.I'm not sure if my Solus Pro($4000+ scanner) does or not,guess I could drag it home and check on the KJ.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That would be awesome if you could check if the solus pro could display it Troy.
Can you also check to see if there are any electrical firmware updates for the KJ?
Maybe there are some new updates for body or transmission ??

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome if you could check if the solus pro could display it Troy.
Can you also check to see if there are any electrical firmware updates for the KJ?
Can't do any updating with the Solus Pro.I'll drag my CReader CRP129 home also and try that to since I've been meaning to get it updated for like 6 months.Won't be till Thursday though,not going into work tomorrow.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do they do free firmware upgrades at the dealership?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry off-topic

is there a thread going for firmware upgrades?
any info? my google-fu didn't come up with anything.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You could possibly make your own gauge to measure the thermistor directly and convert that to temperature values.

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i pretty much have the same problem, was going on a trail and had the tans temp light come on. Pulled over to let it cool and it went away. I also kept it in the first gear as i didn't think it was a big deal and so it doesnt over heat by shifting up. So is the fluid really toast once the light comes on? I was going to change the fluid and filter myself but seems like i need a dealer flush :( Kind of seems crazy that thefluid would be burnt after light comes on. Oh and i have the 13 bolt pan does it mean i have 42rle ******? Im sorry but im still a jeep newbie lol.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i pretty much have the same problem, was going on a trail and had the tans temp light come on. Pulled over to let it cool and it went away. I also kept it in the first gear as i didn't think it was a big deal and so it doesnt over heat by shifting up. So is the fluid really toast once the light comes on? I was going to change the fluid and filter myself but seems like i need a dealer flush :( Kind of seems crazy that thefluid would be burnt after light comes on. Oh and i have the 13 bolt pan does it mean i have 42rle ******? Im sorry but im still a jeep newbie lol.

It seems as though the fluid will need to be flushed if it has reached 275F ( when the trans temp light first comes on ). The dealer has told me they don't recommend flushes on Crystler transmissions though. After my experience, i'd trust a number of this forums kj owners/members over the dealer any day of the week.

13 = 42rle
15 = 45rle

I'd get it flushed/serviced sooner than later if the light came on. I'm installing a PML pan for the 42rle with a lubelocker gasket/seal asap. Also plan to run the transmission fluid through my rad, to the stand alone tran cooler and back to the trans ( have all the stuff i need ) asap. Doing all of that will give me piece of mind... then off to browns camp to really test the rig/cooling capabilities.