trans slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbrookstx

Reaction score
I've got a 42RLE 2004 libby renegade.

I let my buddy borrow it for a week while I rebuilt his m3 motor

It would seem that I got it back with ****** problems indicative of driving in 4 part time in the desert heat cause now I'm getting irregular shifts, and gear slipping.

Dropped the pan, no shavings (yet), saw the fluid was toasted, changed the fluid (tcase, trans, diff, et al). still slippin' and "a reluctance to get into pickup gears/park".

I'm not a trans guy, but it feels like either my bands are worn/shot to **** or I've got a sticking valve body in my fluid raceway.

so, to rebuild or replace? Its going to the stealership to be diag'd in the am.

If its just solenoids/valve bodies, I'll prolly jsut get it re-built. wanted to put an HD kit on it anyhow.

slipping ******, burned fluid. what does it sound like to you guys?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
slipping ******, burned fluid. what does it sound like to you guys?

Probably burnt up the clutches. Sounds like "your buddy" abused it for you. Must have overheated it good. Wheather you rebuild it or replace it will probably depend on the cost difference and how many miles on the kj I guess. I would probably lean towards a rebuilt.

Let us know what they say when they look at it.

Dave

rbrookstx

Reaction score
stealership says 2400 for rebuild clutches, pickup gears, valve bodies.

71k miles.

yes hes payin for it. admitted to drivin in 4 wheel drive.

I'm just buying a brand new one and replacin it. TC, trans, cross member. going with a 45RFE :) unless anyone here has ever heard of a HD 42rle that is.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much for being a buddy..

If the fluid was burnt and it wont go into gear then yea, I would think its either the valve body or the solenoids.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would 4wd hurt it? Wouldn't the transfer case get the strain?
Running 4hi or 4low on dry surfaces will cause binding that will effect the t-case,******,and F/R diffs.I'm sure his t-case chain is pretty stretched by now along with the smoked ****** clutches.In most cases the t-case chain or the driveshaft u-joints are the weakest link,but not always the first to go.

Latest posts

Members online