Trans failure, NEED HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisa

Reaction score
So, I was driving at around 55mph w/cruise control on. As I came up onto a hill the RPM's shot up and soon after, as I was braking to pull over I heard a loud thud. After I got pulled over I tried to move and my jeep and had nothing.I could just faintly feel the clutches engaging but had no pull what so ever. I had it towed home and my son pulled the codes. I have the following codes present: P0700 (general trans, you have a problem code). P0720 (oss). P732 (2nd gear incorrect ratio). My son pulled off the output shaft speed sensor and he found metal attached to the tip which is magnetic and after cleaning the sensor the plastic tip looked as if it had been rubbed enough to melt and misshape the tip. He came to the conclusion that the trans has had a catastrophic failure due to the metal fragments, which in his words were pretty substantial for any hydraulic gear driven system :pp: . The problem he and I am running into is knowing what type transmission is in it and how many gears there are. I have a 05' Liberty 3.7L I will have him count the bolt pattern tomorrow on his way home from work. But, I would and am very appreciative of any help anyone could give me to get a new trans in it so I can get back on the road! help!.gif

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Lisa. How many miles on your jeep when it went?
You should be able to have your 42RLE rebuilt with more updated parts from a good qualified local trans shop with a decent warranty.
You could also have a new rebuilt one shipped to your door.
Of course the junk yard pic a part is an option, but may not be the best choice.

lisa

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! It's got 14576 on it now and have not had much problems other than a starter. It has been a great vehicle! Yes it would be under circumstances but I want to be able to rely on it afterwards.Thanks again for the help.

lisa

Reaction score
wait, could I put a 45RFE in it while I am going this far? would it mount up correctly?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you mean 140k and not 14k miles :p

No you cannot put a 45RFE on it, as you would have so much computer and adaptive work to do that it would cost more to put in a 45RFE than buy an immaculate running 02/03

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Lisa just rebuild or replace the 42RLE.
If the jeep has 145,000 miles on it, did you ever service the transmission with a new filter & fluid?

lisa

Reaction score
I am Sorry, I have been extremely busy given the time of year it is. lmao, yes I did mean to add another digit to the miles. No, I have never serviced the transmission. I have been told by a lot of people in the past to leave it alone until it starts giving me issues. I know it sounded weird to me but, I have herd that doing too much to service a transmission could create more problems that it was worth. But, if a regular service is necessary what kind of intervals should I be looking at for the services? Thanks for the heads up on the swap question! I think my son was leaning toward a swap for reliability but, sounds like a can or worms to me. I have been looking online for a cheep trans. I found a few online for anywhere from $500+ how do you guys feel about a cheep one priced the way it is? I mean its cheep and attractive for me considering the price. But, as far as reliability goes that's another story! I guess the question is has anyone had any experience with the cheepies or herd any horror stories for people getting these and not lasting long.. Thanks again for the help ans sorry it took me a few days to respond back!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I service the 42RLE every 50K miles or before that.
I also have an aluminum trans pan with a drain plug that allows me to refresh it in between services without dropping pan.
The choice is your as what you want to do regarding replacement.
The one major consideration is warranty, since re & re is a bit of work.
I would simply as stated before have it rebuilt by reputable transmission shop & pay the $ have it done right with a warranty.
I am sure some have found used ones and put them in and all was well..or maybe not, I think you take your chances there with a 30 day warranty?

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am Sorry, I have been extremely busy given the time of year it is. lmao, yes I did mean to add another digit to the miles. No, I have never serviced the transmission. I have been told by a lot of people in the past to leave it alone until it starts giving me issues. I know it sounded weird to me but, I have herd that doing too much to service a transmission could create more problems that it was worth. But, if a regular service is necessary what kind of intervals should I be looking at for the services?

I believe the manual says to have the transmission oil changed every 30,000 miles. I bought mine with 60K and I had it serviced the first week I owned it. You might want to check the front and rear differentials and the transfer case - all are supposed to be changed at 30K also.

As for buying a used transmission - its kind of a crap shoot. If you and your son can install it going used may be OK. To many times you buy the transmission in one place and have it installed in another. While the supplier might offer a warranty for the cost of the transmission they don't cover the cost on installation and the aggrevation of having your car out of service.

What happens a lot of times the used unit is install ($350-$800 at many shops) and either it doesn't work at all or it has issues. The installer pulls it and you return it to the supplier. They refund your money or give you another transmission but you have to pay the installer another $350 -$800 to install the replacement transmission. The savings of going used are quickly eaten up.

Rebuilt isn't that expensive:

2003 04 Jeep Liberty Transmission 4WD 3 7L 42RLE | eBay

http://www.jcwhitney.com/shift-poin...6.jcwx?filterid=d1195y2005g80j1&skuId=9289902

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with servicing the transmission is, most people do it wrong. For them, it's usually better to leave it alone since they don't have a clue what they're doing.

I would much rather have a transmission rebuilt by a good shop (if that exists, it doesn't here) than to buy a cheap transmission that's probably been abused.

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Liberty with the 45RFE. At about 50,000 miles, one of the screws on the side of the valve body had come loose and allowed one of the accumulator pistons to blow out into the transmission pan. This caused a lot of the same driving symptoms you described, and I had to tow it to a dealer. The fix was simply to push the accumulator piston back into the valve body and re-install the screw that holds it in with locktight. It has run perfectly ever since, and I have 200,000 miles on it now. It was so simple, the dealer only charged me for a transmission oil change, and told me this was a common problem on the early cars....

lisa

Reaction score
Wow, so this could have possibly been avoided with a few services! My name is Randy, Lisa's son. She told me about this forum and I figured I would chime in. I went ahead and pulled the transmission and am going to rebuild it myself as soon as I can get it up to my shop. I haven't rebuilt any transmissions before but I work at a Caterpillar dealership and have rebuilt hydraulic pumps, motors, ad final drives so, I don't think this is too far out of my reach. Just maybe a bit different and intricate. I will check on that accumulator piston before i get too far ahead but, I may end up rebuilding it anyway due to the metal and the little brown chunks I found after cutting open the filter. I am guessing the brown chunks are from the friction disks and as far as the metal goes....well, I guess I will soon find out where that came from.I have looked at rebuild kits from Transtar,Mako,and WIT. Transtar seems to look like the best layed out and straight forth kits. any other suggestions to look into? I want to thank you all for the help and suggestions you have been giving my mother, I really appreciate it and I know she does also! I also like the idea of a drain plug on the trans pan! 'save-a-mess plug' lol is it a mod or can I purchase a pan retrofitted?

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The 42Rle will require some specialty tools in the rebuild process.
This is not for the inexperienced or faint of heart.
There are 129 pages in the factory service manual about the 42RLE and I would highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with section 21-76 to 21-205 and decide if this is something you feel confident in rebuilding.
I do not have a link handy for an online FSM , possibly one of the other members may be able to help in that department.
Edit you can add/weld in a drain plug to the OEM metal trans pan, or buy a PML aluminum pan. 1.5 quart over stock, that comes with one.

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a drain plug online and installed it in my stock pan. I install one in all my ****** pans - they're the most wonderful things ever.