****** flush issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbaldridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Just had the transmission flushed on my '03 liberty with just over 100,000 miles. I've heard of issues with higher mileage flushes but I guess I was feeling lucky.
Everything is normal except for when it downshifts from 3rd the 2nd. There is noticeable catch/hard shift.
Just looking for input on what you guys would recommend I do next.
Thanks in advance,
Tyler B.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First I assume you went to a place that used ATF4
Did they replace the filter ??
Then it takes a few miles to relearn

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Even though I dont like to use the word flush, I hope that your jeep was serviced correctly with ATF+4 as mentioned, on a re-circulating machine, with new filter installed.
I only allow the dealer to service my KJ's transmission. Leak warranty 1 year as well.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard 3-2 downshift

Common issue. Just drive the Liberty after confirming the garage filled it with AFT-4. The hard 3-2 downshift will disappear in about 500 to 700 miles. The transmission has to relearn downshifts. I had the same issue with my Libby 42RLE trans after dropping the pan and changing the filter. Was told the hard downshift would disappear over time and sure enough, it did. Now I can't detect the downshifts in any gear.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 (or four...) on both the downshift issue and the ATF+4. Many shops will tell you, "Hey, it's ATF and that's what your transmission requires..."

But have them show you a container of the fluid they put in your Jeep. If it DOESN'T say ATF+4 then they screwed up. It's not the same stuff and you don't want to know what incorrect fluid will do to your ****** :emotions34:

If you got the correct fluid then the ****** will be happy and the hard downshifts will slowly go away in a couple of weeks.

Bob

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal hard down shift, as it re-learns the c.v.i.'s (clutch volume indexes). You have changed the viscosity of the atf by changing the fluid. Like others said it will re-learn over time. Or u can go to dealer and get a quick learn for cash (of course). With the c.v.i's being so different than the new atf+4, it confirms that the old fluid was done for.

tbaldridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, everyone. Really appreciate it! Work was done at a reputable shop here in town (non-dealer) and the proper ATF4 was used. Hope she runs for another 100,000 miles.
Thanks again,
Tyler B.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wait another 100K to change the fluid though. As long as you are doing a flush at 30k-35K I wouldn't worry about changing the "filter". If your transmission is wearing like it should the wear particles should be too small to be clogging up your filter (actually a screen) are suspended in the transmission oil. If the wear particles are coming off in chunks big enough to get caught in the screen you are looking at a rebuild in the near future with or without the new filter and fluid. I could see you having shift problems after changing the fluid at 100K, the small wear particles in the fluid have been acting as a "grit" giving worn clutchs some extra life. It may or may not get better after a while - depending upon how well the transmission "relearns" how to shift without the grit.

Or you could add a bottle of "Lucus Transmission Fix" and essentially put the "grit" back into your new fluid. I'm not a fan of this product but I've heard it has delayed some pretty expensive transmission repairs.

Last edited: