Tranmission swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Ovalle

Reaction score
So I had my 05 Liberty trash the transmission. I found a low mileage one at the local yard. I guess seemed to good to be true. I got it home and mounted in the Liberty. I go to plug it in and the darn thing has an extra plug for the valve body. Mine only has the 1 large plug on the drivers side of the transmission. The tranmission came out of a 06 liberty. Looks identical except for this extra plug. Do I pull it back out? Extra plug do anything really important? I couldn't find anything about this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Ben Ovalle might you have picked up a 45RFE transmission while your car has in it a 42RLE one, or vice versa?

I feel like the 42RLE has just 1 big plug on it... but can’t totally recall. Try Google searching images (or photos on transmission remanufacture company websites) of both those transmission and see if it helps you. I’m also assuming you’re referring to an auto and not a manual trans (I’m not familiar with the latter).

Ben Ovalle

Reaction score
So, I figured out it is a 42RLE That, I made sure of before I bought it. It is the VLP version though, or Variable Line Pressure that came in 2006. I found 3 or so posts that said it would not work in my 2005 that did NOT come with VLP. I also found 1 lone post where someone did exactly what I was doing. He said he was almost done when he found the extra connection at the ******. He went ahead and finished installation and it worked. He did mention funny behavior and 1 safe mode but it cleared on engine restart. No further updates were given by him.
So I can report, it works. I had a hard shift into OD and a hard down shift from 3 to 2. I had no method to do a relearn but others had said to give it upto 500 miles to relearn. Well, it did! I can barely feel the shifts now. Its smoothing out really nice.

Latest posts

Members online