Trailer Package Danger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the trailer towing wiring harness have hot wires only when the brakes are applied? If you have the brakes applied and one or two wires are hot to the connector, does this pose a fire hazard if you are hit hard in the rear? I understand the addition of the trailer towing receiver to protect the gas tank in a rear collision, but if you add a trailer towing wiring harness can this actually increase the chance of a fire from a spark if the tank is hit so hard it ruptures? A Jeep Cherokee hit hard in the rear caused a fatality due to a fire from a ruptured gas tank here in Georgia. I have the receiver but wonder about the wisdom of adding the wiring harness. Comments?

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably no more risk than your electric tail lights or license plate light. 4 pin has running lights, brakes, and signals. 7 pin adds backup, trailer brakes, and constant power. There's no trailer brake activity unless you have a controller installed at your dash.

Rear gas tanks have existed for years and years. All that's changed is there's less metal in the vehicle wrapped around it. A 2" receiver hitch is a great fix for this perceived 'hazard' IMO.

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being struck by lightening should be a far greater cause for concern.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are apparently two wiring standards for a 7 wire. I found this out recently when hooking up to a trailer with surge brakes and a lock-out solenoid for reversing.
The pin that the trailer uses to activate the trailer brake lock out matched up with my pin for the constant 12v supply. Resulted in completely disabling the trailer brakes while pulling it, overheating the solenoid, and killing my battery overnight.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless what hits your trailer is on fire, or you did a really really bad wiring job nothing to worry about.

Members online

No members online now.