Trailer Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok hear is the story. I was taking my hitch off and got all the bolts out but one. The head snapped off from the last one. Fast forward a bit and I was trying to get it out with a bolt extractor. The remaining bolt and nut ended popping out from their spot welds; I’m guessing that what holds the nut on. Has anyone had this happen to them or know how to fix it? I know there is some easy way of doing this but I don’t know what it is yet.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless the frame rails are open on the end hidden by the bumper, you'll need to cut/drill an access hole to be able to fish a new nut in there, one that has tabs on it to keep from turning. go look up the directions for installing a FRONT hitch on these things to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok hear is the story. I was taking my hitch off and got all the bolts out but one. The head snapped off from the last one. Fast forward a bit and I was trying to get it out with a bolt extractor. The remaining bolt and nut ended popping out from their spot welds; I’m guessing that what holds the nut on. Has anyone had this happen to them or know how to fix it? I know there is some easy way of doing this but I don’t know what it is yet.

Grab that case of beer you mention in your sig and get ready...

Here is a trailer hitch installation how-to video on the etrailer.com website for a Ford Escape showing how to get their carriage bolts and rectangular carriage blocks/washers into the frame rail. In the case of the Ford there is a slot at the end of the frame rail to feed the washer and nut through - at around the 1:30 mark the video mentions having to enlarge the slot in the bottom of the frame if the opening on the end isn't available. Basically on your Jeep you make the existing slot in the frame rail between the weld nuts a little bigger with a chisel so you can fish the carriage washer and a bolt through the hole. In essence you'll be pulling a bolt through and the nut will be on the hitch side, which is opposite of the way it is done on the factory setup which has the bolts on the bottom with the weld nuts hidden in the frame.

Call etrailer.com's customer service line. They will get you the pull wire, carriage block, carriage bolt, nut and appropriate washer for your Jeep so you can complete the installation. What you've experienced isn't uncommon and they have a solution.

Hope this helps!

Bob