Trailer Hitch Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twopperer

Reaction score
Was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a 2010 Jeep Liberty and looking to install a trailer hitch. It seems pretty straight forward by bolting the hitch onto the 6 existing weld nuts on the bottom of the vehicle. But on the driver side, the back weld nut is being used by another piece (see attached picture). I am not exactly sure what it is holding, but was wondering if someone could tell me if I could remove this piece or place the trailer hitch on top of this and bolt it into the same weld nut. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• Undercarriage copy.jpg
    Undercarriage copy.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 24

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a brace of some kind.
probably drop the brace, put in the other 5 bolts for the hitch, then reinstall the brace and bolt over the hitch bracket, if I had to guess. if you search online for the hitch for the jeep you'll find alot of places have links to PDF copies of the install directions. might answer your question precisely.

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
I have a 2010 and when I installed the hitch I placed the hitch between the bracket and top plate and used the supplied bolts which are longer just like Sota said above. When you do the install make sure you clean out the bolt holes with brake cleaner or something to ensure no debris is in the way also I used blue lock tight just to ensure its secure.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't use any loctite, have enough trouble getting bolts out of those things once they've rusted

basically corrosion will loctite them in for you better than Red loctite, no worries

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
Jeepinjarhead03 is right I'm just extra cautious when it come to hardware. I lock tight everything and worry about getting it out later.