Traction Control on KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rymnd

Reaction score
Hi all.

New to KJ and new to forum!

I have an 05 manual with no traction control. Can one add traction control to the KJ, seeing that it has ABS system?

Failing that, what are the locker options? Are they worthwhile - and probably more pertinent - are they really needed? (I'm not planning to do insane stuff - just the normal offroading, namely trails, overlanding etc.)

By the way - does the 05 KJ auto come with traction control?

Cheers,
Ray

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
adding a locker or limited slip would be much more beneficial then a TCS system and for once, probably cheaper for you.

You may have the factory trac lock (trac loc, traclok, trashlock, whatever) limited slip already. Its not great but its something.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
By the way - does the 05 KJ auto come with traction control?

Cheers,
Ray

Welcome ... No ABS or Traction control on an 05 ... which is a major reason why I bought it. All that crap was added in 06+.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hi all.

New to KJ and new to forum!

I have an 05 manual with no traction control. Can one add traction control to the KJ, seeing that it has ABS system?

Failing that, what are the locker options? Are they worthwhile - and probably more pertinent - are they really needed? (I'm not planning to do insane stuff - just the normal offroading, namely trails, overlanding etc.)

Cheers,
Ray

Installing air lockers front and rear (as well as regearing) is the best investment
we've done to our Rig.
Totally worthwhile, as you don't need to push you Jeep as hard to get through
certain terrain.

Welcome ... No ABS or Traction control on an 05 ... which is a major reason why I bought it. All that crap was added in 06+.

X2, I specifically wanted a KJ without all that crap as well.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi rymnd, nice to have another South African here :)
I have traction control on mine and I usually pull the ABS fuse when I go offroading. my mate gives it the same name as a locker switch: "moffie knoppie" :disgust:

Bottom line is I still get up every obstacle without t/c. it's just easier with it...

before you go splurging on lockers, find out how capable your KJ is :)

rymnd

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!

Took my KJ through a trail in south of Johannesburg called Berakah (2-5) and it managed all the obstacles pretty well - however, bottomed out insanely! Hence a suspension upgrade is defo on the books. Looking at Ironman - approx 2' lift I believe. (Any good?)

Good to hear TC (moffie knoppie - LOL!) is not all that important and great. Then I won't bother too much. I was considering TC or lockers as I got stuck in mud in a riverbed where I live...both right tires spinning - whilst the left awaited further instructions! :) Perhaps a set of Maxtrax will remedy that...

Weasel - whereabouts you live?

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah Berakah - I've heard that's quite tough. Nice to hear you managed all the obstacles. I also scraped my underbelly a lot before getting the Camil lift kit. If you're looking for a lift, they're very good. Ask for Clarence and say Adam referred you :) I got 60mm lift after settling, which is better than the IronMan, EFS or OME will give you.
You can get Iron Man for under R10k. Tommudd gave the kit good reviews...

Like I said, the TC does make a notable difference, but I'm still yet to be defeated without it. Except for a similar muddy situation to yours.

I'm on Olivedale (Randburg). you?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lockers = best off road mod hands down
Put one in the rear and your rig will be twice as capable
Any one who tells you they are "not needed and you should
see what your rig can do" has not seen what a Jeep with
lockers can do

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean lockers aren't needed or that they won't make a big difference, but let's be honest - they're only really NEEDED to tackle something pretty gnarly. I was just suggesting that he finds out how capable the KJ is without them before shelling out a lot of money.
You also learn to take more tactical lines when you have no aids
Maybe he decides it's not worth the investment. For me it's not...

Edit: "money no object", they'd definitely be on my list. Also, onboard air for filling tyres would be sweeeeeeet :)

Last edited: