Trac-Lok (limited slip) rear differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm that some of the early KJ's came with LSD's even without the off road package. Possibly there was a supply problem with the early axles, so LSD's might have got filled in.
My dad's 02 has one, without the off road.
For whatever it's worth, I have the LSD in my '05, and after 100,000 miles it's still working quite well. It's certainly not been from lack of use either. It's always had propper fluid, changed very regularly. I'm not trying to say previous coments are wrong, LSD's do have a service life, and it's directly related to how they are treated and serviced. Just trying to point out they're not all bad.
Ryan

You may be right and you may be wrong
I had the factory trash lock in my TJ
it was shot at 32K
considering that I bought it at 28K and wheeled it maybe 4 times
before that it was used as a "fun vehicle" for a mid 20's female
or never left the pavement
the problem with your statement may be a lack of experience
I thought all was good and happy until I saw what a rig with TT's front and rear could do ,and it made mine look dumb
so I simply took it 1 further ,Detroit locker out back

TRFguy

Reaction score
For sure, I wasn't trying to say it's god's gift to differentials or anything. There's a lot to be said for how it was assembled too...
Tell you what else, I was quite happy enough that a real LSD was even an option! It's harder and harder to find a vehicle with any kind of anti-spin axle these days, and then when you do, many are some electric controlled or actuated piece of poop like you wouldn't even believe. I guess my use of the KJ was probably very well within it's engineered design, and that results in my general pleasure with it's options and factory equipment. I do have a Renegade with 6 speed manual, and off road package, that can't hurt either. It's my wife's daily ride, but often on the weekends (like this previous one) we are running around trails in northern michigan, looking for mud, ice, or snow depending on the season. It does pleasantly well to not get stuck where many other wheeled vehicles won't even try. I suppose if I wanted to do any hard car climbing, or crawling, mudding, etc, I would just expect to modify the vehicle, simply because my use would have now extended far beyond it's engineered intention.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you have re-built them is it normally just the clutch pack that needs replacement or?
What is a cycle? 400 of them....?? Where the diff clutches engage to transfer power?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you have re-built them is it normally just the clutch pack that needs replacement or?
What is a cycle? 400 of them....?? Where the diff clutches engage to transfer power?
I'm sorry,thought they tested the trash loc,been awhile since I last looked at this site.Does give some good comparisons on the markets top LSD's which are far better then any OEM LSD.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/IndependentTesting/index.htm

Click on the bottom 2 links for the PDF files that tell what they considered a cycle.

ericautopart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LSD is 241..not a rebuild kit. It's OEM Spicer. Ya'll did know that spicer makes them right? Everyone lauds spicer all of the time, then it comes to these and people trash them. I usually see them go @ about 160,000 miles. Which is pretty damn good if you ask me, and they are rebuildable.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LSD is 241..not a rebuild kit. It's OEM Spicer. Ya'll did know that spicer makes them right? Everyone lauds spicer all of the time, then it comes to these and people trash them. I usually see them go @ about 160,000 miles. Which is pretty damn good if you ask me, and they are rebuildable.

Dude I have no clue where in the world some one is getting that kind of milage out of a trash lock
like I said mine was useless after 32K ,basically open as church before it was ever due for the first oil change
yes I tried new oil with additive with the same result
I tired to go with a power craps ,I mean trax, and trashed it on an easy trail
by easy I mean 2 on a 1-5 scale
the second ,the one that was a warranty replacement for the first, broke on a very easy trail
I now have a tried and true Detroit Locker ,all or nothing
if I were to ever consider putting in an LSD ,for example I have a 2wd truck and the spider gears go south for some reason ,the trash lock for $250 would be bottom of my list when the real deal LSD is only about $100 more

samlesher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm for sure that this is NOT a Track-Lok rear diff that I have on my 2004 Columbia Edition? The sticker on the axle is not readable.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm for sure that this is NOT a Track-Lok rear diff that I have on my 2004 Columbia Edition? The sticker on the axle is not readable.

You can test it by jacking up the rear and spinning one tire. If you can spin it, and the other tire spins the opposite way, you have an open diff

brokendad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open all day

Looks like a open diff to me.
Go to Jeep.com sign up as a owner then on the owners page you can ask for a build sheet. This will tell you exactly what was put on or in your Libby.
I have just put a complete rear end out of a donor Libby of the same year in mine. The Donor had just under 48k on it, checked it out changed gear lube and new additive. This is a inexpensive way to go if you don't have a lot of cash. the whole thing cost about $75USD. Spicer does make the LSD's and to tell you the truth I personally think that the people that don't like them are wheelin a lot harder than the vast majority of us. Just my opinion