Trac-Lok (limited slip) rear differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexmolinavr6

Reaction score
What years comes with this :confused:
what are the advantages?
I have a 4x2 2002, do mine has it?

Thanks!:cool:

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Don't know about what years or models they came on, but look on your rear axle, should be a tag (sticker) about 2 inches long, near the wheel, that will say trac loc if it has it.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Yupp Trac Lock or Open diff! and Family KJ you got a Limited slip dont you??

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Trac-Lok was offered with off road packages on 4x4 models only as far as I know.
You should obtain your build sheet data, with a Vin # dealer can print one out or call Chrysler.
With out a Limited slip diff (open carrier) I call it one wheel drive, when one wheel spins the other can just sit there and do nothing.
With a Limited slip in theory, it should transfer power to the wheel that isn't spinning, to allow some grip/forward movement.
Trac-lok (trash Lok) has multiple clutches etc and wears out quickly if you don't change the GL5 gear lube with a friction modifier added every, 12,000 miles.
And you wonder why I am looking for an gear based alternative....My trash lok clutches got replaced at 26,000 miles. Time fore something better, hopefully not a clutch based, Can't afford an ARB air locker.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What years comes with this :confused:
what are the advantages?
I have a 4x2 2002, do mine has it?

Thanks!:cool:

Trac-Lok was included in the optional off road package from 02-05 MY. This optional package also included skids and hooks and I think rock rails also. It was mostly added to the Renegades (but not limited to them as far as I remember). If yours is 2wd I don't think it would have come from the factory with trac-lok.

I don't know about the 06-07 MY as they had ESC etc.

It is a limited slip with clutch packs in it so both axles will engague giving better traction....until the clutch plates wear out. Then ??

Look at your axle tag as was mentioned. You could also get a build sheet on your jeep and that will tell you everything that was in it from the factory. Go to any dealer and give them the last 8# of your vin and they will print it instantly (free) or go to jeep.com under owners services and order one via e-mail.

Dave

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nope. Only 02-05 4x4's with the off road package got it...

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Yupp Trac Lock or Open diff! and Family KJ you got a Limited slip dont you??

Nope, I have trac-loc, so says the tag...I dont have an off road package though..no to hooks or side rails...Maybe early 02's 4x4 came with it anyway.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Oh ok well i thought i saw something on your tag at the M&G that said something other then open diff.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
lol So in May you going to hit ocala with me and budke if we can get set on a date?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeiks...
You will need friction modifiers then...:eek:SHOCKED.gif

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone have any pictures of an Open diff compared to a Track-loc diff in the KJ 8.25?

TRFguy

Reaction score
I can confirm that some of the early KJ's came with LSD's even without the off road package. Possibly there was a supply problem with the early axles, so LSD's might have got filled in.
My dad's 02 has one, without the off road.
For whatever it's worth, I have the LSD in my '05, and after 100,000 miles it's still working quite well. It's certainly not been from lack of use either. It's always had propper fluid, changed very regularly. I'm not trying to say previous coments are wrong, LSD's do have a service life, and it's directly related to how they are treated and serviced. Just trying to point out they're not all bad.
Ryan