TPMS Question.. blink = spare.. right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seiran

Reaction score
Just got an '06 CRD.. and the TPMS light on the dash was on.. dealer said it was "malfunctioning" so they'd fix it..

picked it up last night and as soon as I started driving, it'd blink 10 times.. I figured it was just because it was cold and after the tires warmed up from driving, it'd stop.. but about 25 mins later, it did it again and keeps blinking 10 times every 25 mins or so..

i read somewhere on here that if the light stays on, it's the driving tires.. if it blinks, it's the spare.. i'm going out during lunch today to check the pressure on the spare - but i wasn't sure if the 10 times meant something specific (like engine codes blink a certain amount of times to give a specific error)..

sorry guys - for the possibly ******** newbie question.. but i wanted to double check and i couldn't seem to find any answers elsewhere on the interwebs..

seiran

Reaction score
I just wanted to say(welcome) fellow KJ owner!!! I'm sure you'll hear from TonyCRD for the answer to your question. Here check this link http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31029&highlight=TPMS+light. Also try the searh forms section for the answer to you problem

right.. sorry man.. i tried to make sure i searched around a bit on here before i made a post about it - of course i'm at work and have to try and search around "under the radar" - which didn't give me a whole lot of time to really do any digging..

thanks for the warm welcome - really pumped to have this jeep now.. everything i had before was some sort of small race/drift car that i had to avoid speed bumps in.. hahaha...

just checked that link - i'm guessing it is the spare.. i'll give it a shot today.. the weather has gone from about 45-50 degrees to a drop of 35 degree highs in a matter of a day.. so i'm guessing that's f'ing everything up.. thanks again SD...

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just keep aa $0.99 gauge handy, you have no idea how much variance these stuck tires get from warm weather to cold weather. Once, I had a complete flat overnight on my old goodyears when the temp dropped 20 degrees in 12 hours.

seiran

Reaction score
hahahahaha.. holy crap - that's no good..

the jeep came with Goodyear Wrangler tires.. these things terrible? the tread looks decent, but it's that time of year when the weather starts to get gross and was thinking about getting nicer/new tires.. you guys recommend anything?

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the jeep came with Goodyear Wrangler tires.. these things terrible? the tread looks decent, but it's that time of year when the weather starts to get gross and was thinking about getting nicer/new tires.. you guys recommend anything?

It is almost impossible not to improve on Wrangler ST's.

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yokohama Geolanders in 245/70/16 thats what I just put on my 2005 about 3 months ago and I love them.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think the check engine lights blink to give codes anymore. Thats how we read the codes on our ZJ though. :)

Not sure what the whole blinking thing means with the TPMS. Mine tells me the pressure of all my tires and I check the spare every season change, so I have no problems.

Just check all of them and make sure all 5 have at least 33psi in them.

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know from the service manual the spare tyre is not monitored.

It is on my 2005 trust me I know from trying to track down the reson the light was blinking on mine for day only to learn it was the spare.

It has done it twice now about a year apart and both times it was the spare tire causing the warning.

seiran

Reaction score
i'm FINALLY going to get around to checking the pressure tonight.. after looking around the interwebs- sounds like it's just the spare.. but, i JUST got it a couple weeks ago, so I might as well to a check over everything anyway (snowed the other night and had to get the salt off the windshield while driving - found out the line running the windshield washer fluid is cracked - just spews out everywhere.. awesome)....