Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tline155

Reaction score
I was wondering what the tow rating was on the Liberty. I have seen a few different ratings when doing some searching.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Depends on how it's equipped. With trailer tow package, it's 5000lbs. People have claimed to tow more and it handled fine.

Tline155

Reaction score
Well dealer said it had tow package but they also told me it was a Freedom edition which I told them was not true. Is there an easy way to know if it does have this package:confused:

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats a trailer tow package? I thought it was 3500lbs with a tow bar max tow capacity, is there some wonderful bit of kit that ups this?

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tow package is a factory installed option pack that includes:
1. Heavy duty radiator
2. Trans cooler
.....and I'm sure some other stuff that my limited number of functional neurons can't seem to remember at the moment.(beer)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go behind the Jeep and bend over(no pun intended), if you have the hitch then you may have the tow pack.

Open your hood, if you have both the engine driven fan AND an electric fan then you have the towing pack.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, they both use the same radiator, just an extra fan w/ the towing package?
Yes,and if you have the tow package you should have all the extra coolers to.I've towed a trailer wieghing 5000lbs from SD to WA and then from WA to CO(both trips 1500 miles through the mountains) and I don't have the tow package but added a AUX ****** cooler rated for a 28,000 GVWR vehicle and I have the 45RFE ******,had no problems(except stopping).One time for a total of about 30-35 miles towed 6200lbs with my KJ,no problems then either.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I have a p/s cooler and a trans cooler, but no mechanical fan just the electric one. I'm guessing thats not the tow package (the Lib did not come with a hitch either, I added it). It should still be ok for towing a small trailer shouldn't it? We just bought a small pop up camper (around 1000 lbs), but I don't really want the mechanical fan if I don't need it.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, it can tow up to 3,500 lbs with no tow package or the manual trans.

Auto, with tow package, 5,000 lbs.

I can check my 2007 brochure when I get home if you'd like. I think that's how it went.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to Jeep's 2007 propoganda....

Trailer tow group adds: Class III receiver, wiring harness, 7 to 4 pin adapter, power steering cooler, and heavy duty engine cooling for auto transmission.

So, I read that as it adds a power steering cooler and an extra engine fan, nothing extra for the trans. Manual transmission KJ's can't get that package, that's where the confusion sets in. They are saying that's added to an auto trans vehicle. Nothing is different in the trans between the stock auto and a trailer-tow equipped KJ.

The off-road package reads the same way. I have both, and I do have a mechanical belt-driven fan as well as a large electric fan.

Tline155

Reaction score
OK, thanks for all the info guys. I do have a hitch on it, not sure if stock. And above does it say that tow package has trailer lights wireing already.
I will take a closer look at all the things listed.

Tline155

Reaction score
well had my wife check at home (since i away and jeep there) and she said yes it has wire plug. So guess I got the package, ill look more tomorrow.

Sweet

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
I have a question. If you don't have the factory trailer kit, can you add an additional Higher CFM electric pusher fan in front of the rad? Or is there not enough room!
In addition to what TJKJ2002 has done with a huge ****** cooler, would adding an engine oil cooler work? Fitted with a thermostat (I gots that in my Mini)

Failing all that...

Just how much work is involved to add the factory belt driven fan?

Cheers

Ry

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I'll apologize for what appears to be a hi-jack of this posting but does anybody know anything about electric trailer braking?

My 04 Liberty has an factory trailer package but not the trailer brake device (required for heavy two axled trailers) and the stealership wants $150 for one. Can I maybe buy an after market one for less?