Towing Weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian40

Reaction score
I have an 2006 Sport with an automatic. I am looking at upgrading my boat so I looked at the manual to see what the towing specs are. It says a 4x4 automatic max trailer weight is 2,000 lbs. 4x4 automatic with cooler is 5,000 lbs. I bought mine new without the tow package, added the wiring harness and hitch myself.

Doing a search on here, it seems like people were saying they all Liberty's had ****** coolers. Is that correct? Or is that an add-on option that came with the towing package?

Boat & all should be less than 2,000 lbs, but may be getting close. Some small hills between me and the lake.

Do I need to add a ****** cooler?

Thanks!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 2006 Sport with an automatic. I am looking at upgrading my boat so I looked at the manual to see what the towing specs are. It says a 4x4 automatic max trailer weight is 2,000 lbs. 4x4 automatic with cooler is 5,000 lbs. I bought mine new without the tow package, added the wiring harness and hitch myself.

Doing a search on here, it seems like people were saying they all Liberty's had ****** coolers. Is that correct? Or is that an add-on option that came with the towing package?

Boat & all should be less than 2,000 lbs, but may be getting close. Some small hills between me and the lake.

Do I need to add a ****** cooler?

Thanks!

no
you will be fine

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will be fine. Lock out o/d on hills to keep the ****** from shifting around.

Dave

brian40

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think I will be OK too.

But out of curiousity, does the ****** have a cooler or was that an add-on?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
It's part of the towing package, but it is possible that you have the cooler without the package, mine did.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be fine pulling a boat & trailer weighing in at less than 2,000 lbs. You could visit a scale house and have them confirm the weight.

I have an 04 Libby Sport c/w the towing package an routinely pull the max weight of 5,000 lbs. Of course I've added a load leveling hitch & an electric brake controller.

If I understand correctly the towing package includes a mechanical clutch fan for the front of the water pump, a different fan shroud to cover the clutch fan, the transmission cooler rad & lines, the Class III hitch and 7 pin electrical connector. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd have to program the BCM for the towing package too. I think the electric rad fan behaves differently.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be fine pulling a boat & trailer weighing in at less than 2,000 lbs. You could visit a scale house and have them confirm the weight.

I have an 04 Libby Sport c/w the towing package an routinely pull the max weight of 5,000 lbs. Of course I've added a load leveling hitch & an electric brake controller.

If I understand correctly the towing package includes a mechanical clutch fan for the front of the water pump, a different fan shroud to cover the clutch fan, the transmission cooler rad & lines, the Class III hitch and 7 pin electrical connector. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd have to program the BCM for the towing package too. I think the electric rad fan behaves differently.

From all the research done on the 02-04 Libby's, all models came with the ****** and power steering coolers. The only difference between non-tow package Libby's and those with the tow package is the heavy duty mechanical fan and the fan shroud (and obviously the hitch and 7-pin connector.)

Check out this thread for all the details on adding the OEM electrical connections and hitch.

Unless you're towing a heavy trailer in hilly terrain - putting significant stress on your ****** - the standard cooling system should take care of you. If you have trans temp problems upgrade to an aftermarket ****** cooler.

Rest easy - your new boat will be no worries! :party52:

Bob

Members online

No members online now.