towing questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cirsory

Reaction score
I've searched. Didn't find the answers.
So I am moving from VA to TX in the coming weeks. I have a 06 6-spd Renegade. Class III hitch. My route is going down the coast to avoid the mountains/hills as I see that being a tough struggle to tow through. I plan to get my ****** fluid changed, its time for it anyways. Oil is ok. I will be taking a 12' uhaul trailer because its the only one that has the brakes. I do not plan to fill it.

My 2 main questions are:
1. I've towed alot before but never with a manual and such a small vehicle. Any tips on towing with a manual?
2. Any other fluids I should get checked or changed besides oil and transmission?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two main tips I would say, don't burn the clutch up starting out from a stop, and make sure you downshift. Let the motor do as much of the work to slow you down as possible so you don't risk burning up your brakes. The only real downfall of a short wheelbase vehicle when towing is backing up. The shorter the wheelbase of the tow vehicle, the more easily the trailer will jackknife when backing. The distance from the hitch to the trailer axle/s will affect this some also. The greater the distance, the easier it is to handle normally. Just go slow till you get the hang of it and you won't have any problems.

Last edited:

redpoint5

Reaction score
Excessively slipping the clutch is what burns it up. Just like brake pads, the clutch pads can get too hot and glaze over. A burned clutch will smell similar to burned brakes.

From the sound of it, you shouldn't have any problems towing.

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't fill it up with heavy stuff, 3.7L 5-speed Libs can tow 3500# but a full 12' trailer can weigh a bit more than that. I towed a 12' trailer to help a friend move once that weighed 5000# when full (I didn't use the Liberty that day.)

Since you haven't towed with the Liberty before, are you going with the U-haul trailer towing kit, or something different? I'm curious about adding a hitch to mine.

cirsory

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't fill it up with heavy stuff, 3.7L 5-speed Libs can tow 3500# but a full 12' trailer can weigh a bit more than that. I towed a 12' trailer to help a friend move once that weighed 5000# when full (I didn't use the Liberty that day.)

Since you haven't towed with the Liberty before, are you going with the U-haul trailer towing kit, or something different? I'm curious about adding a hitch to mine.

Mines a 6-sp so I would think its slightly more capable than a 5spd but probably not by much.

I should rephrase what I said. I have towed very light loads before. I did not like the way it handled without trailer brakes even with a light load which is why i'm choosing the only trailer with brakes available. I installed the hitch and wiring myself. Dont remember what it was.