Towing our Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have owned a 2002 Liberty Limited, 2WD (I know), since it was new and we'd like to configure for towing behind our motorhome. This little Jeep has been literally bullet proof, no repairs, just maintenance, so we are kind partial to it.

I've seen the Remco transmission pump set up, but I'm a little leery about trusting a battery powered gizmo, providing the pressure and lubrication needed to prevent the trans from grenading itself.

I know that Remco, and other manufacturers used to built drive shaft disconnect systems, but it seems they're no longer available.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction for reliable mods to achieve our goal, aside from buying a 4WD Liberty (no money for another vehicle)?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions...

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a used a totaled 4X4 KJ for cheap and install the transfer case.
That way you will be able to shift into neutral and just tow it.
Then sell off the remaining parts to recover the cost or keep them for rainy day project.

Great idea, I'll definitely look into that.

Come to think of it, while I'm at it, would it be feasible to transfer the entire "4WD" system out of the totalled Liberty, into mine and gain the full advantage? During some routine maintainance, I noticed the spindles were splined... looks to me as though converting over to 4WD may just be a simple, bolt in procedure.

BUT, there's this little voice that tells me, there's probably way more to it than merely screwing and bolting some parts in...

Tinkrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow my 05 KJ behind our RV, it is however a 4X4

For 4X2's Go to Remco Towing's site they still list drive shaft disconnects for all jeep libertys 2002 through 2011. Here's the link

Remco DriveShaft Coupling

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken the KJ rear shaft is the same as the
TJ at the rear yoke
Remove 4 nuts and the u bolts
Then duct tape and BIG zip ties to hold on the end caps
and hold the drive shaft up
This is how we have towed several TJ's wheels down
but with bent drive shafts or busted T-case

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder if you could get one for the front driveshaft. cheap 2WD LO option.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 2WD drive shaft longer due to no transfer case and does it differ in layout from the 4WD? Have never seen a 2WD liberty, I don't believe they were even offered as an option in CAN in 06 07 when i bought mine.

My 4wd has the flange at the end secured with 4 bolts and no U bolts over the u joint caps
3155-u-joint-flange-buggered-up-one-right-see-crack-c-clip-channel-%24110-mopar.jpg

3157-center-socket-else-cap-goes-squish.jpg

Just zip tie or tape the shaft secure above the axle mount and tow away. Least it will save the trouble / concern of re-tightening over bearing caps multiple times, just remove 4 bolts off flange and your off.

2wD lo would be great, just concern about priceyness of installing a transfer case on a 2WD, even without adding the front diff, drive shaft, and CVs.