Towing Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What sort of mileage do you all get when towing, and what is it you are towing and the weight?

Just did 1,500 miles last 2 weeks ang got anywhere from 12 to 18mpg (around 15mpg overall I'd say). Was pulling a coleman taos popup and had an 18 cu. ft. rooftop cargo unit. The trailer is a low optioned unit, nothing but 5-gallon water container and propane tank (no bathroom etc.). Totally loaded it's around 1,200-1,300 pounds. It tows like a dream (can't tell it's there, i keep OD engaged and it runs 65mph around 1800 rpm).

Had lots of bears this trip (2 weeks long trip) and switched campsites every 2 days or so. Got *REAL* tired of moving all the items that smell like food in and out of hte jeep (several of our campsites had bear siting during the day, and they were getting into peoples stuff). Also tired of popping hte trailer up and down all the time. Looking at getting a lightweight single axle trailer - i see several with dry weights of 1,500 to 2,200 pounds. We travel light (probably 300 pounds of cargo with all our food, water, clothing, propane etc.). I'm thinking towing 1800-2500 pounds won't be too bad, but maybe wind/drag is the biggest factor?

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two summers ago (wow, time flies) I did about 3500 miles pulling my 19', 2700 lb (dry) travel trailer. I'd guess it would run about 3500 lbs, loaded.

You must be registered for see images

On that trip I calculated individual tanks anywhere from 9 mpg to 13 mpg, overall trip average was about 11.

I agree that the wind resistance of a full height trailer would make a big difference over a pop-up. Other factors which probably made a difference tank-to-tank would be terrain and winds.

The Liberty handles it OK, but I wouldn't want anything bigger back there.

I'm definitely wishing I had a CRD for towing!

Dave

Latest posts

Members online