Towing damage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robocody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently my jeep got towed because I parked in a reserved spot: I park there, they towed me, That's fine. My problem is that I left the transfer case in Full time 4, and now that I got my Jeep back, Whenever I accelerate quickly there is a thump from (I'm assuming) the transfer case, and when I am between 40-50mph There is a loud whine... almost a humming. These only happen in four, though.

My question is this: Anyone have any first hand experience with what kind of damage an improper tow could do?

Does this sound like it could be because an improper tow?

Does it always do this, and did I just not notice it before the tow?

Is it the tow companies job to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help,
-Cody

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they tow it on a flatbed or just by raising the front 2 tires? If on a flatbed no damage could have been done but if on a dolly(2 front wheels off the ground) it damaged the t-case if it was in fulltime.It would be the towing companies fault.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2

flatbed you are fine, but if they lifted front, good luck

Robocody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They won't tell me how they towed it, and keep on asking if it is a 4x4 or 2x4.

I'm assuming that they either dragged it up onto a flatbed without dollies, or just towed with the rear wheels on the ground. Either way, I think I need to get a hold of them about the noises, and the whining sound before anything gets worse.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres no way they could of left the front two wheels(or the back two) on the ground and tow it since it was in full time. It would of tried to rotate the back tires when they started moving so they had to either drag it onto a flat bed, which can cause damage to axles, tcase, ******, etc, or they used the dollies.

I posted a thread about who pays for damage when youre towed and I think you are responsible for the damge since you parked illegal(according to them). ***** doesnt it..

With that, do you get the thump when your off the gas then you quickly get on the gas? If so, that sounds normal.

Do you get the whine when you are slightly giving the jeep gas? IE, coasting or going down a hill while very lightly staying on the gas? If so, thats normal.

If youre getting a whine all the time no matter how much gas you give it then something is a miss somewhere..

Robocody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres no way they could of left the front two wheels(or the back two) on the ground and tow it since it was in full time. It would of tried to rotate the back tires when they started moving so they had to either drag it onto a flat bed, which can cause damage to axles, tcase, ******, etc, or they used the dollies.

I posted a thread about who pays for damage when youre towed and I think you are responsible for the damge since you parked illegal(according to them). ***** doesnt it..

With that, do you get the thump when your off the gas then you quickly get on the gas? If so, that sounds normal.

Do you get the whine when you are slightly giving the jeep gas? IE, coasting or going down a hill while very lightly staying on the gas? If so, thats normal.

If youre getting a whine all the time no matter how much gas you give it then something is a miss somewhere..

It's mostly when Giving it gas slightly, say going 40-50, and accelerating slowly enough that the transmission doesn't shift down. And the only time it thumps is if I'm going between 5-10 miles an hour and punch the gas.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thump sounds normal. Some slack in the drive train is normal but without driving it its hard to say if the amount of slack that you have is normal. People have always complained about the 'thump' that you get when giving the kj gas.

If the whine is only when you slightly give it gas then it sounds normal.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to say that my "thump" went away for about 10,000 km after having the ****** fully serviced and tightened up at 100,000 km. Now at 130,000 km, thump has been back for a while. Yes, it's a low speed thing, notice it accelerating sometimes from 5-10 km, and sometimes when stopping hard.