Towing capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrJ

Reaction score
I have a new 07 Liberty and am getting conflicting information about towing capacity. I do not have the towing package (which is rated to tow up to 5000 lbs), but I had the dealer install a hitch. I have the 3.7 with automatic. The dealer told me that this set up would tow 4000-4500 lbs without the ****** cooler. The owner's manual seems to suggest a limit of 2000 lbs without the towing package. Who is correct?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither - automatic is rated at 3500 lbs. The trailer tow package adds an extra cooling fan along with the hitch and wiring. I believe they all have the same trans cooler. The towing package equipped will tow 5000 lbs.

So, according to Jeep, you're all set for 3,500 lbs.

The manual trans is 3500 lbs I believe. Maybe it's 2000? I can't really remember.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking at an 07 sales brochure and it says the following.

3.7L v6/6sp manual = 3,500# (doesn't mention a towing package)

3.7Lv6//4 speed auto = 5,000# with an asterisk that it needs a towing package to tow that much weight.

That said I would imagine you would be safe ON A FLAT TOW at 3,500# max with O/D locked out to be easier on the drivetrain. But at that, I would be concerned enough to put a ****** cooler on it if it does not have one. The tow package also included a power steering cooler and extra cooling engine fan.

If you have the off road group, it includes the ****** cooler and power steering cooler per the brochure.

Stop at any dealer and ask for the sales brochure. They must have some leftovers. Maby the Jeep Website has some info on it also? I didn't look.

Dave

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told 5000 with my 3.7L Auto w/towing package by the dealer. I don't think I would pull that much weight over a long distace though, unless it was all flat highway.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told 5000 with my 3.7L Auto w/towing package by the dealer. I don't think I would pull that much weight over a long distace though, unless it was all flat highway.
I wouldn't want to tow that much with the 42RLE either,glad I have the 45RFE and have towed over 4k for 2 1500 miles trips threw the mountains with no problems and once towed over 6k for about 30 some miles and no problems.Oh and the ****** cooler for a 28,000lbs GVWR RV helps out alot to.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to tow that much with the 42RLE either,glad I have the 45RFE and have towed over 4k for 2 1500 miles trips threw the mountains with no problems and once towed over 6k for about 30 some miles and no problems.Oh and the ****** cooler for a 28,000lbs GVWR RV helps out alot to.

Enough with all the 45RFE gloating already! nono.gif
Not! :) I have it too! Ain't it great? Cheers.(Cheers)