Towing a trailer - I need some education!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

millersliberty

Reaction score
Hi All!

We have a 2004 Liberty Limited with the 3.7L engine. We do not have the towing package but have an aftermarket UHaul hitch receiver installed.

Am I correct in understanding that our Liberty without the factory tow package has a rated towing capacity of 3500 lbs?

We were looking at a travel trailer that has a dry weight of 2725 lbs and a hitch weight of 400 lbs bringing the trailer total without "stuff" in it to 3125 lbs. Am I correct to assume that I can add 375 lbs in extra weight to the trailer in order to safely tow it?

I also read somewhere that it is suggested that you only tow 70% of the weight of listed capacity which would be 2450 lbs. Anyone heard this or agree with it?

My ultimate goal is safety - when pulling this trailer there will be 2 little ones in KJ along the Mrs. and I.....the last thing I want is a fun camping vacation turning into a tragedy. I would appreciate any advice or recommendations, especially if my calculations or assumptions or incorrect.

Thanks so much,

Martin

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should have no problems towing the 3500 lbs even without adding the mechanical fan provided you cooling system is in good working condition. IE get it flushed if it has never been(5yrs or 60000 miles). use the right coolant HOAT (not the green stuff).

@ 3500 lbs or there abouts you should be considering brakes for the trailer which is listed in that how to tow stuff link. Most advise brakes north of 2000 lbs.

If you have an automatic, the only differnece between the tow package (5000 lbs) and non is the addition of the HD mechanical fan (and shroud, its useless without it), a trans cooler and powersteering cooler. You may already have the last two.

As long as your running near stock diameter tires, you should have little issues towing, just the obvious concerns about stopping.

For longevity sake if you find it hunts between 3 and 4 alot consider turning OD off and save your transmission.

Other nice to haves down the road are stiffer rear springs to deal with tongue weight and the snowball effect that will have for other suspension needs.

Also congrats on first post in 4 years.

One more point i thought of after, its a class III hitch, 2 inch reciever and 5000lbs right, no some dinky 1.5 class II 3500?

Last edited:

millersliberty

Reaction score
Lol, yes....longtime lurker, first time poster!

Is there an easy way to tell if we already have the trans cooler and PS cooler?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were looking at a travel trailer that has a dry weight of 2725 lbs and a hitch weight of 400 lbs bringing the trailer total without "stuff" in it to 3125 lbs. Am I correct to assume that I can add 375 lbs in extra weight to the trailer in order to safely tow it?

That's not what that means at all. Hitch weight, or tongue weight rating is the amount of weight (downforce) the hitch can safely hold. Basically, if you were to lift the tongue of the trailer, you would be lifting a certain amount of weight just like if you were dead-lifting weights. That's the tongue weight based on how the weight is distributed between what's in front of and in back of the trailers axle. A good recommendation of tongue weight is between 10-15% of the trailers total weight. Too much tongue weight and you make the towing vehicle pop a wheelie. Too little weight and it can make the trailer sway in a very dangerous fashion, to where it can throw you out of control.

millersliberty

Reaction score
Okay Cactus, that is what I orginally thought and read something different. So I have 775 pounds to reach the 3500.

Any suggestions on a weight distribution hitch?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, yes....longtime lurker, first time poster!

Is there an easy way to tell if we already have the trans cooler and PS cooler?

Looking at the front grill, the will be a trans cooler as a shorter radiator infront of the large one that comes about half way up your main radiator. The power steering cooler will be driverside and narrow ~ 3 inches wide and maybe a foot long.

Post a picture of your radiator setup and will be able to tell quickly.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3500# you shouldn't need a weight distribution hitch. Careful arrangement of your load and setting up of your tongue weight will do just as well. I speak from some... experience. :)

You must be registered for see images

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3500# you shouldn't need a weight distribution hitch. Careful arrangement of your load and setting up of your tongue weight will do just as well. I speak from some... experience. :)

You must be registered for see images

I like that Angry bird

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Hitch weight, or tongue weight rating is the amount of weight (downforce) the hitch can safely hold...A good recommendation of tongue weight is between 10-15% of the trailers total weight. Too much tongue weight and you make the towing vehicle pop a wheelie. Too little weight and it can make the trailer sway in a very dangerous fashion, to where it can throw you out of control.
That is the best and clearest explanation of that I have ever read. :favorites13:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To safely tow a travel trailer with the liberty you need a good weight distributing setup, anti sway setup, and most important a good brake controller. Anyone that says otherwise is wrong, plane and simple. A weight distributing setup puts weight back on the front tires greatly improving the handling of the jeep. With 400lbs of tongue weight you will need it.

The mech fan would be in your best interest to save the ******. It will pull more air at lower speeds.