tow hooks, offroading, any other JeepChicks here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woo Hoo Libby Lu

Reaction score
Ok, I don't have any tow hooks on the front or back of my Jeep. Are they easy to install by myself, and is there any certain style or brand that's better than others?

Should I wait until I get them to take her offroad? What else do I need to go offroad?

Side note: by easy to install, I mean requiring much strength. I am a JeepChick, and I can figure out complicated stuff but don't have a lot of muscle behind me! Are there any other girls here? I noticed Flaren and PatriotBlue03 are women... Glad to see I'm not the only one!

TIA,
WOO HOO Libby Lu
4X4 Selec-Trac
2002 Limited Ed, Stone White
Leather, Sunroof, Clear Front Marker Signals, no offroading stuff yet... sad2.gif

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the group, Factory tow hooks front and rear should be easy to install if you have the right tools. The front will require you to remove the bumper cover to install.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am generally as irresponsible as it gets while offroading, not stupid, just overconfident about the liberty.

That said; I would NOT drive a liberty offroad without any recovery points.
IE: towhooks, hitch, ect...

By offroad I mean really offroad, where you would actually have a chance to get stuck.

You can probably take it out on some 2-tracks and dirty trails though.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOOHOO!!! A jeep chick!! IN KENTUCKY!!! I live in eastern ky, not sure how far away you are though.

Also, the front bumper does not need to be removed. I put mine on, on CHRISTmas day, only took around 10min. It may be different on the 05-06's, Idk for sure.

The only thing you need for a stock libby to go off-road is skids, good tires, and tow hooks. Its nice to have a hitch on the back but the tow hook works fine.

Jparts.com is a good/cheap place to get all of that. Good luck with your libby! Maybe Ill see you around? Keep you eye out for a blue libby with a lost sticker on the back!

edit: Just looked, you are over 4 hours away. :-({|=

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Also, the front bumper does not need to be removed. I put mine on, on CHRISTmas day, only took around 10min. It may be different on the 05-06's, Idk for sure.

To clarify: If you get the front tow hook kit from jeep, you can install it without removing the bumper, because it comes with a magic M bolt that you can thread up through one hole and down the other.

If you get used hooks from somebody who had them factory installed, they use normal bolts, and you'll need to remove that bumper cover to get to the other side to feed them through. Either one isn't too bad to install.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess Im number 4 for the "jeep chicks" club..lol.
glad to see there are other chicks showing their love for the libby.

Woo Hoo Libby Lu

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, great to see a #4 for the Jeep Chicks!! Ok, another question. Went to get a hitch (Draw Tite, Class III Receiver, $125 - awesome price) and I was thinking that the hitch can be used as a recovery point. However, on the Draw Tite website, it sounds like they are saying not to use it that way!?! So what's the deal!?!

I got a plate, but I can't figure out how to get pics on here. Soon as I can, I'll post my plate. ARB is out of budget range - but cool, thanks for filling me in.

redhotpepper

Reaction score
OOoo, me, me! Haven't gotten to do any offroading in the Liberty (and I won't if my hubby has anything to say about it!) but I used to have a Cherokee and did some with that.

Annie

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo Libby Lu said:
Thanks for the warm welcome, great to see a #4 for the Jeep Chicks!! Ok, another question. Went to get a hitch (Draw Tite, Class III Receiver, $125 - awesome price) and I was thinking that the hitch can be used as a recovery point. However, on the Draw Tite website, it sounds like they are saying not to use it that way!?! So what's the deal!?!

I've heard that before as well. Hitches are not specifically designed to be recovery points, so the hitch manufacturer can't exactly recommend that you use it for that.

However, enough people use hitches as recovery points to say that if you are using enough force in a recovery to rip a hitch off, you will more likely rip something else off in the process. If you are worried about it, make sure that the hitch you get has 3 bolts on each side instead of 2, that should buy you a little extra peace-of-mind. Also, consider a class IV if you want extra weight rating (but I don't think you can tow any more than the vehicle max regardless)

A quick search on google for "hitch recovery point" shows a lot more people suggesting it than suggesting against it.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
This was the one I was planning on getting. It's rated for Front recovery, but it shows only 2 bolt holes. I'm hoping to obtain any info from your thread before my purchase is final.

Disregard the thing I said earlier about the number of bolt holes. I assumed you were referring to the rear hitch, which will have either 2 or 3 bolts per side. I have no idea what the front hitch has, but 2 would be my guess.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.