TOTAL capacity for 45RFE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turbodave

Reaction score
I'm going to swap out the trans oil and filters in this 4x4 transmission before doing the swap - how many quarts of ATF+4 will Ineed to purchase?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not that much if you just drop the pan. Should be around 6-7 quarts. I know the 42rle takes around 5quarts and the 45rfe take alittle more.

I would get around 8-9 quarts and go ahead and do the tcase if you have enough left over. Be sure you do not overfill the ******, it a pain to get it back out. Put 5 quarts in it then check it with the dipstick. If it reads around 'MAX' then start it and put it into N. Let it idle for a few then check it again. It should drop down some so keep it above "ADD." Drive it some to warm the ****** up then check it again. Its best to take a quart or two with you along with some paper towels incase you need to add some while driving it.

I found out the hard way that 5quarts wasnt enough when I tried to drop my valvebody(didnt happen). I got out of the driveway and it wouldnt move. I lost more than I though by pulling the valve body down some.

I believe my tcase took around 2.5-3quarts. Cant remember exactly.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.