Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all......so i need to replace the Crapyears finally. I have been researching all over for the best new tire. I have a stock suspension 06 with 34,000 miles. I have run BFG A/T on a few pickups and always loved them. But, i was thinking of either the new goodyear duratracs in the stock size (225/75 16) because i like the aggressive look or going bigger. I see that 245/70 16 is the biggest we can go stock without issues. They don't make the duratracs in that size, so i was thinking the firestone destination A/t since they are made in the bigger size and are pretty reasonable on tire rack with great reviews. Anyway......just wanted some opinions on my options......is it worth going to the 245 bigger size for looks and handling? Are the firestone's that great....everyone seems to rave about them, but they don't look that aggressive to me? Or how do the duratrac's or old standby BFG's compare in the stock size of 225..........thanks all in advance

Ken

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take into account how much you 4 wheel, if you live where there is a lot of snow, how many miles you put on it a year and if you are planning a lift.

The more aggressive the tread, generally, the less the tread life, less pavement traction and more noise.

Are your stock tires worn out at 34,000?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Next round of tires here might be Cooper Discoverer ATR's....priced right, nice tread, seems to have good reviews, and are American....

They do come in 245/70... :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have ran Destination ATs, Kumho KL78s, BFG ATs and now Duratracs on the KJ , best so far overall IMO
DuraTracs ( snow rated as well) and look cool, not super MOM ride look:D
as far as size
a 245-70-16 is 29.5 inches tall
a 225-75-16 is 29.3 inches tall
the 245-70 is just a little wider is all
there are some reviews of the DuraTracs and Destination ATs over on LOST and I think someone just installed some 225-75-16s

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You could also consider GoodYear Silent Armor with Kevlar. These are excellent in snow as snow flake rated, and very strong kevlar belted. They also are quieter than than stock tires, yet fairly aggressive. Off road they are great too, as sidewalls are very thick and had no problems in muddy trails. Without rubbing, I run 245-65-17, you should also be able to go a bit wider at 245. Wider gives a better grip/footprint. Available in any 16 or 17 sizes.

http://www.goodyearwrangler.ca/en/

Here is a list of sizes:
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Goodyear&tiremodel=Wrangler+SilentArmor

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
^^^ That and the fact that they pretty much saved my life the other day are good reasons ...

details forthcoming ...

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your stock tires worn out at 34,000?

If he has the stock Goodyear ST's ,they were garbage from day 1 with 0 miles on them. I'm getting ready to replace the set on our libby, they only have about 15K, horrible ride and terrible in rain.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the stock tires still have a fair amount of tread left, but they are starting to get noisy. I have added a bunch of other stuff.....hooks, skids, hitch, tire & seat covers....etc. Time to get some more aggresive tires, other then that, i really don't have a major complaint about the goodyears.....
thanks for all the responses so far
ken

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
If he has the stock Goodyear ST's ,they were garbage from day 1 with 0 miles on them. I'm getting ready to replace the set on our libby, they only have about 15K, horrible ride and terrible in rain.

The SR/A's were no better. Just a horrible tire.

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can say the SRA's were quiet, and were good in the rain....peepwall.gif

My wife's '03 Limited had the 235/70 SRAs and I didn't think they were that terrible - you had to take it easy on them from a launch in the rain, but anything RWD needs to be driven carefully in those conditions. They were just great in the snow, especially with it in full-time. They were starting to dry out though this spring, so I scored a set of practically new '06 Limited 17" wheels with the 235/65 Wrangler HPs for $400 and they've been good in the rain and snow too.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's '03 Limited had the 235/70 SRAs and I didn't think they were that terrible - you had to take it easy on them from a launch in the rain, but anything RWD needs to be driven carefully in those conditions. They were just great in the snow, especially with it in full-time. They were starting to dry out though this spring, so I scored a set of practically new '06 Limited 17" wheels with the 235/65 Wrangler HPs for $400 and they've been good in the rain and snow too.
We got 30k on our SRA's and have tons of tread left. I wish they would wear out so I can get some decent tires:confused::confused:screwy.gif

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got 30k on our SRA's and have tons of tread left. I wish they would wear out so I can get some decent tires:confused::confused:screwy.gif

Oh, they had tons of tread left, they were 7 years old and starting to dry-rot. We bought her KJ new in Sept. of '02, and it only had 32K miles on it in May of '09.