Tires-help a newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CountryDirt

Reaction score
Hi. I recently got my late fathers Jeep Liberty 03 sport. Currently it has 225/75/16 wrangler STs on it that need to be replaced. What are your thoughts on Yokohama Geolander AT-S? I do mostly street driving (probably 90%) but a few times a week drive on a dirt road. I live in New England and want a good all season tire for our snowy winters. Thanks!

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't plan on lifting, going off the beaten path, etc. Then don't be afraid to drop a bit of coin on some tires. You almost always will get what you pay for. :waytogo:

That being said, I retail tires for a living among other auto services and I can't say I've ever been a fan of Yokohama. Haven't really seen much quality wise through them.

I've seen few issues with Cooper, Michelin and Toyo. Based off my experience they'd be my top 3 brands, but that also branches out a bit into their subsidiary companies like BF Goodrich and Mastercraft.

Personally, if I were you and you aren't afraid to spend the extra money and want a GREAT all season tire you cannot beat the Michelin LTX M/S2. Quiet, long lasting, awesome dry, wet and snow traction. The occasional dirt road doesn't hurt 'em either. You might flinch a bit at the up front cost, but later down the road you will thank yourself you made the decision. They are well worth the money.

EDIT - BTW, switch to a 235/70/16, you'll find more options in that size now-a-days.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also a tire shop professional, and have much the same opinion of Yokohama. While I'm a huge fan of Michelin for passenger, I'd place their sister company,, BFG ahead In SUV/pickup service. As o said Toyo ain't no slouch either. I'd put Hankook RH8A all season ahead of Yokohama .

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CountryDirt

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I was originally looking at BFGs but my mechanic (who specializes in Jeeps) recommended Yokohamas.

Do I need to do anything to change to the 235/70/16? I love this jeep and want to keep it going but I'm new to car maintenance in general other than the standard oil changes etc.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I was originally looking at BFGs but my mechanic (who specializes in Jeeps) recommended Yokohamas.

Do I need to do anything to change to the 235/70/16? I love this jeep and want to keep it going but I'm new to car maintenance in general other than the standard oil changes etc.

235-70-16 was an optional size, my 04 came with that size stock so nothing to change
Never ran/sold or will recommend Yokos but seems some like them

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The new BFG KO2 is a so far so good as far as I know. A lot better than the original the Michelin rep claims to me for longevity, ride quality and capability. An A/T wouldn't be out of the question for you, but you really need to look at what suits your needs best.

You don't need a thing except new tires to switch to a 235/70/16 :party36:

CountryDirt

Reaction score
If you don't plan on lifting, going off the beaten path, etc. Then don't be afraid to drop a bit of coin on some tires. You almost always will get what you pay for. :waytogo:

That being said, I retail tires for a living among other auto services and I can't say I've ever been a fan of Yokohama. Haven't really seen much quality wise through them.

I've seen few issues with Cooper, Michelin and Toyo. Based off my experience they'd be my top 3 brands, but that also branches out a bit into their subsidiary companies like BF Goodrich and Mastercraft.

Personally, if I were you and you aren't afraid to spend the extra money and want a GREAT all season tire you cannot beat the Michelin LTX M/S2. Quiet, long lasting, awesome dry, wet and snow traction. The occasional dirt road doesn't hurt 'em either. You might flinch a bit at the up front cost, but later down the road you will thank yourself you made the decision. They are well worth the money.

EDIT - BTW, switch to a 235/70/16, you'll find more options in that size now-a-days.

Thanks Ouroboros, I've done all the research I think I can, and I'm going with Michelins that you suggested in the 235/70R16. After looking at all the deals, the best price seems to be through Tirerack and having NTB install. Its a good $200 difference than the local Sullivan Tire!

On a side note I got the car up on a lift last night (I'm taking maintenance class) and the mechanic/instructor was impressed with the car being in such good shape. He couldn't believe it's 12 years old. I feel confident putting a little extra money in on tires knowing that the shocks, suspension, etc. are all in good shape.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Ouroboros, I've done all the research I think I can, and I'm going with Michelins that you suggested in the 235/75R16. After looking at all the deals, the best price seems to be through Tirerack and having NTB install. Its a good $200 difference than the local Sullivan Tire!

On a side note I got the car up on a lift last night (I'm taking maintenance class) and the mechanic/instructor was impressed with the car being in such good shape. He couldn't believe it's 12 years old. I feel confident putting a little extra money in on tires knowing that the shocks, suspension, etc. are all in good shape.

Shocks and springs may look good but I'll bet a nickle to a dime its sagged at least an inch. The 03 I just picked up had 81,000 miles, one owner, sitting just a hair over an inch below new stock height and rides like it as well :thumbsdown:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the yokohama AT-S since summer 2014.
So far they're holding up except for the wear on the edge even though I have my jeep aligned at every oil change and a 5 tire rotation.
Don't think they'll last as long as I hope they would

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the yokohama AT-S since summer 2014.
So far they're holding up except for the wear on the edge even though I have my jeep aligned at every oil change and a 5 tire rotation.
Don't think they'll last as long as I hope they would

You get an alignment every oil change? I hope you get a deal cause they are $125-$150 a pop up here lol. I would wonder if there is something worn that is causing it to be off and wear then edge!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid for the lifetime alignment at firestone so definitely getting my money's worth and we hardly drive the jeep since the wife works from home and I cycle to work.
The roads down here in Tucson AZ are HORRIBLE. Something is always off when I get it aligned.

Mismanagement of public funds from bonds back in 2011 so not much was done with maintaining the roads. Voters just shot down more bonds for more money to fix the roads.

So far the ball joints are still good. so idk. :/

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran 70k on my Hankook Dynapro ATMs. Onto my second set.

As for that size though... Stick with 235/70 if it's not too late.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid for the lifetime alignment at firestone so definitely getting my money's worth and we hardly drive the jeep since the wife works from home and I cycle to work.
The roads down here in Tucson AZ are HORRIBLE. Something is always off when I get it aligned.

Mismanagement of public funds from bonds back in 2011 so not much was done with maintaining the roads. Voters just shot down more bonds for more money to fix the roads.

So far the ball joints are still good. so idk. :/

Good deal! For a 4 Wheeler that would be a good purchase.

EcoRenegade

Reaction score
Hi. I recently got my late fathers Jeep Liberty 03 sport. Currently it has 225/75/16 wrangler STs on it that need to be replaced. What are your thoughts on Yokohama Geolander AT-S? I do mostly street driving (probably 90%) but a few times a week drive on a dirt road. I live in New England and want a good all season tire for our snowy winters. Thanks!

I was looking at the Geolander AT-S for my next set. I found a tire shop that had Windforce AT's for a steal. I have a daily highway driver with occasional trail and snow travel. The Windforce Catchfors AT's (235/70/16) are quieter and give me a far more solid ride than the 2 sets of Goodyear Wrangler ST (225/75/16) that I used before.

All tire manufacturers are required to meet DOT standards to be deemed safe for use. Most tires that I see on the market have "made in [another country that is NOT the US]" stamped on them.
Here's a list of tire manufacturers and country origins from Autopedia:
AUTOPEDIA®: Tire Manufacturers

While the professional tire sale guys on here have a long and valid track record of advice... I find their suggestions not friendly to a tight budget. They are also not going to test out "another brand" on their own rig for fears unknown.

I personally can not take advice some someone that says they are a professional in the industry and their only advice is "don't do that cause it *****" with no other hard reasoning or proof is given to support that claim.

These Windforce AT tires (made in China) have given me improvements in ride stability, diminished road noise, and increased MPG. Was totally worth the $200 in savings over the Geolanders AT-S.

Attachments

• Windforce Catchfors AT Tire tag.jpg
    Windforce Catchfors AT Tire tag.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 11

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
W#hen I buy tires I look at a number of things, how theya re going to be used, how they ride, who makes them, etc
My duratracs cost a little more but with over 90,000 miles on them they ahve paid for themselves and I can buy them anywhere

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I personally can not take advice some someone that says they are a professional in the industry and their only advice is "don't do that cause it *****" with no other hard reasoning or proof is given to support that claim."

Just keep in mind that even the youngest of us, orouboros (probably spelled that wrong, it's late and I'm tired) comes to mind, have more real life tire experience every month than any consumer will in their lifetime.

I sell hell out of China tires, Korea tires, Mexican tires, Vietnam tires. Some are very good, some ain't. My personal truck's riding on "Falken" made in Japan tires, and will be as long as I can get em. There's a very good chance your "Windforce" will give you excellent service. May be so good you spend the rest of your life looking for another set. Because by the time you need em they may be nothing but a memory. Perhaps you should have invested in a lottery ticket the day you bought those tires instead.

Bob

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the Geolander AT-S for my next set. I found a tire shop that had Windforce AT's for a steal. I have a daily highway driver with occasional trail and snow travel. The Windforce Catchfors AT's (235/70/16) are quieter and give me a far more solid ride than the 2 sets of Goodyear Wrangler ST (225/75/16) that I used before.

All tire manufacturers are required to meet DOT standards to be deemed safe for use. Most tires that I see on the market have "made in [another country that is NOT the US]" stamped on them.
Here's a list of tire manufacturers and country origins from Autopedia:
AUTOPEDIA®: Tire Manufacturers

While the professional tire sale guys on here have a long and valid track record of advice... I find their suggestions not friendly to a tight budget. They are also not going to test out "another brand" on their own rig for fears unknown.

I personally can not take advice some someone that says they are a professional in the industry and their only advice is "don't do that cause it *****" with no other hard reasoning or proof is given to support that claim.

These Windforce AT tires (made in China) have given me improvements in ride stability, diminished road noise, and increased MPG. Was totally worth the $200 in savings over the Geolanders AT-S.

I do know what will give good ride quality and what wont.. I know what manufacturers will have a uniform product that holds up to an industry standard and performs again and again under strenuous circumstances.

Be careful how you use the word budget.. I like to say something along the lines of "I'm too poor to be so damn cheap!" Think about it, Johnny bought a set of el cheapo china tires for $450 backed with a good maintenance package included in the price for no additional charge. If Johnny keeps up on regular tire maintenance, we'll say he gets the 40,000 mile tread wear out of those tires.

Now lets say Johnny invested in a set of better made (Not necessarily a domestic tire) tire for $700 back backed with a 70,000 mile tread wear warranty along with the same maintenance package included with the last set. Johnny has spent MORE money, but in the long run has he invested in something that will cost him less down the road?

The answer is yes. Effectively said person will be in for less service to their vehicle, not just saving them time, but money (Think time=money). You'll end up spending $900 on two sets of el cheapos before the other set of tires wear out. So who's really saving money here?

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the import branded tires, if that's what suits you, then by all means have away at it.. But I know what I'll do and I'll be damned if I sacrifice quality. :mexsmoke:

OH, BTW those Good-for-a-year ST's are garbage. Wear horribly, traction is non-existent and they're better off as a sasquatch rubber if ya know what I mean....... :icon_lol:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
W#hen I buy tires I look at a number of things, how theya re going to be used, how they ride, who makes them, etc
My duratracs cost a little more but with over 90,000 miles on them they ahve paid for themselves and I can buy them anywhere

Cannot go wrong with a Duratrac. I have Territory's on the KJ and Duratrac's on the Titan. They are my new fav tire and will be purchased next time I need tires. Made in the USA, M+S Rated and Snowpeak rated. Up here in Canada Canadian Tire tested a multitude of winter tires based on many variables and the Duratrac's actually beat out a bunch of designated winter tires!

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cannot go wrong with a Duratrac. I have Territory's on the KJ and Duratrac's on the Titan. They are my new fav tire and will be purchased next time I need tires. Made in the USA, M+S Rated and Snowpeak rated. Up here in Canada Canadian Tire tested a multitude of winter tires based on many variables and the Duratrac's actually beat out a bunch of designated winter tires!

The Duratrac is MY only go to Goodyear. Not much of a fan of most of their other tires but I've heard good things about the A/T Adventures. I am a bit of a Cooper fan boy though. Those STT Pros mmmmmm hitit.gif