Tires After New Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It's just the 02-04 CRDs, right? Any obsticles in fitting them on an 06?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No, 4 bangers,....gassers not CRDs
Only CRDs that got 4.10s are the export models
and yes some issues since 06 is when they went with the ABS, etc
Before speedo pickup came from rear diff etc
Thats why I'll never own a 06-07 LOL

joncan

Reaction score
No, 4 bangers,....gassers not CRDs
Only CRDs that got 4.10s are the export models
and yes some issues since 06 is when they went with the ABS, etc
Before speedo pickup came from rear diff etc
Thats why I'll never own a 06-07 LOL
See. This is why I ask these questions. I think I have stuff figured out and then someone smarter comes and sets me straight.

I was talking to my "junk guy" yesterday and mentioned I might be on the lookout for the 4.10 diffs. Guess I need to stick with the 06-07 stuff and plan on regearing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've never ridden in a KJ that has been regeared I can assume from what you are posting.
My 04 when I went to 32s , couldn't even use it with out the OD off. Went from 20-21 at highway speed to 14-15 at best and needed Grandma to push at any hill. That lasted a week, a regear to only 4.10s brought the pep back, got back my mileage and was way more fun again. Over 100,000 miles later it had paid for itself many times over.
Now my 03 I only went with the 2.5 inch JBA coilover lift, 265-70-16s and did a couple of trips before the 4.10s . 125 -130 miles to my parents driven the road 1000's of times over the last 50 years. The 03 with the 30.6 inch tall tires and stock gearing shifted over 30 times. Next trip I had regeared and it shifted only one time.
NOW to my little brain, thats way better on both the motor and transmission plus more mileage. Now in no way am I a rocket genius but doesn't take much knowledge to know thats way better. These motors like to be would up a bit, if they get down into the 1500-1700 RPM range they are a dog.
Oh and 4.56s work great with 32s, 4.10s work best with 265-70-16s and 245-75-16s ( same height)

As I've stated 4 bangers have 4.10s, I've picked up both front and rears for under 350 bucks. I have 2 full sets here waiting and don't have over 800 in both sets. No not for sale, still have another KJ waiting to be built and my Step fathers will be after that one

I'm down in Winston Salem NC quite often ( my wife is a Professor at a University down there ) , meet you have way and give ya ride sometime so you can experience

I think I need to re-gear my ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO let me ask this....IS a ring and pinion set for a Chrysler 8.25 diff going to fit all Chrysler 8.25 diffs or are they vehicle specific and well as diff specific?

Jim

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I sure jacked this whole thing up, I got a locker in the rear then lift and now need to regear...lol I should have thought this thru more.......

Ok so back to basics, with the OME/Bilstein 2.5 that is closer to 3" lift, with putting in 4.10 gears, what is the max tire I can run?

Jim

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The regearing issue is more about pleasing the auto trans and cooling system than anything else. Our 6spd KJ seems to have more jam with 3.55 & 245/75R16 tires than 3.73 auto with stock tires. Nothing runs hot. No HD cooling. You choose you own shift points.

SO let me ask this....IS a ring and pinion set for a Chrysler 8.25 diff going to fit all Chrysler 8.25 diffs or are they vehicle specific and well as diff specific?

Jim

The '05+ 8.25" (C213) has 10mm ring gear bolts instead of 3/8". Nitro makes dual-drilled ring gears if this applies to you.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The regearing issue is more about pleasing the auto trans and cooling system than anything else. Our 6spd KJ seems to have more jam with 3.55 & 245/75R16 tires than 3.73 auto with stock tires. Nothing runs hot. No HD cooling. You choose you own shift points.

The '05+ 8.25" (C213) has 10mm ring gear bolts instead of 3/8". Nitro makes dual-drilled ring gears if this applies to you.

LOL same answer as many over the years until they regeared ( those with manuals )