Tire size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, lets suppose that instead of putting a lift on my 2002 Liberty Sport, I just replace the strut assemblies up front. I know they are sagging and I can feel the thud/bump when I hit a pothole so I figure they are worn out anyway. I want to go from the ugly ass factory 16 inch rims to the sexy Cragar Soft 8s that are sitting in my living room right now looking at me. They have the 4 inch backspacing as opposed to the 5.5(?) backspacing of the factory wheels. What would be the max tire size I could run on them? Could I do a 30x10.50? whatever I run, I want wider than stock. I don't necessarily offroad, per se. I DO ride out on the North end of Topsail Beach here in NC a couple times a year and want to be able to go with some ATs.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The shocks ( we don't have struts but ) are worn out plus springs so everything needs replaced. Just replacing to stock will not allow you to run that size wheel / tire combo. It will sit the tire out to far and rub
widest stock is 245-70-16s on stock wheels

Last edited:

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am confused. RockAuto says it uses a strut assembly in the front with the strut and coil and uses coils and shocks in the rear. What am I missing. This IFS is playing with my mind. I am used to SFA setups. Also, you said the largest tire would be 245-70-16s. That would be 245-75-15 if I go with my Cragar Soft 8s, correct? Please excuse my newbie questions. Not a newbie to Jeeps, just the Liberty. Have had a 1988 XJ and a 1987 YJ in the past.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Companies like to call the struts but they are not
BUT on ward
with 15 inch wheels you could run a 30-9.50-16 which is almost the same as a 245-70-16
But not on those wheels, with 4 inches of back spacing you're going to have lots more rubbing on the flares and in front and rear of the tires when turning. 245-70-16s rub on most even when turning on stock width wheels and backspacing
Unlifted best bet is to stay with stock sizes

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Companies like to call the struts but they are not
BUT on ward
with 15 inch wheels you could run a 30-9.50-16 which is almost the same as a 245-70-16
But not on those wheels, with 4 inches of back spacing you're going to have lots more rubbing on the flares and in front and rear of the tires when turning. 245-70-16s rub on most even when turning on stock width wheels and backspacing
Unlifted best bet is to stay with stock sizes

Then I am thinking I am just gonna do away with the confusion and spring for the lift in due time. Just hold onto the wheels and get the lift to run the 31x10.50s I wanted to run to start with.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.