Tire Size Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After lifting its clear I am going to need bigger tires. My 245/70's look like skateboard wheels now. As far as height, I know I want something equivalent to a 31. Idc if it winds up being metric. Also, since going up in tire size, id like to keep rotational mass as low as possible, so 15" wheels I think would be best. Looks like the soft 8's in 15's (however cookie cutter they are) will work. Question is what kind of backspacing I would need for a 10.5 tire?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
After lifting its clear I am going to need bigger tires. My 245/70's look like skateboard wheels now. As far as height, I know I want something equivalent to a 31. Idc if it winds up being metric. Also, since going up in tire size, id like to keep rotational mass as low as possible, so 15" wheels I think would be best. Looks like the soft 8's in 15's (however cookie cutter they are) will work. Question is what kind of backspacing I would need for a 10.5 tire?

Personally I would stay with stock wheels and 245-75-16s at 30.5 inches tall anymore you'd be wanting to regear soon.
Also going to 15s would not cut down on rotational mass since depending what tire you get could in fact be heavier, like a 31-10.50-15.
But if thinking you want other wheels, when lifted 7 inches wide and 4 inches of backspacing works great .
OR 8 inch wide and 5 inches of backspacing BUT they are heavy. Buddy has a full set of 8 inch wide 5 inch backspacing for sale, removed them and went to Moabs ( well thinking they are 16 inch but heavy )
So not only look at tire weight but also weight of wheels
Plus 7 inch wide work great for every size tire we can run anyways

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would stay with stock wheels and 245-75-16s at 30.5 inches tall anymore you'd be wanting to regear soon.
Also going to 15s would not cut down on rotational mass since depending what tire you get could in fact be heavier, like a 31-10.50-15.
But if thinking you want other wheels, when lifted 7 inches wide and 4 inches of backspacing works great .
OR 8 inch wide and 5 inches of backspacing BUT they are heavy. Buddy has a full set of 8 inch wide 5 inch backspacing for sale, removed them and went to Moabs ( well thinking they are 16 inch but heavy )
So not only look at tire weight but also weight of wheels
Plus 7 inch wide work great for every size tire we can run anyways

Are his 8x5's 15s or 16s? I may be interested in them especially if hes local (ish)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Are his 8x5's 15s or 16s? I may be interested in them especially if hes local (ish)

His are 16 X 8s with 5 inches of backspacing ( same as Moabs )
if you ran those you could run a 255-70-16 or 265-70-16 ( size I am running on the Moabs )
I'll double check what he wants for them

here you can see what a 265-70-16 looks like on a 16 X 8 inch wheel with 5 inches of backspacing
7 inch wide with 4 inches of backspacing sits out the same amount
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May have secured some 265 75 16s in a trade for my 245 70s... Too big?

Last edited:

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess the big thing about the above size tire is availability. Zero out of pocket is very tempting but I know regarding will need to happen sooner than later with those. I have a 5spd so idk if that helps as far as power loss "feel" is concerned.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
May have secured some 265 75 16s in a trade for my 245 70s... Too big?

If you are ready to regear then no
But you'll need to regear, I ran for a week before I regeared and couldn't even use over drive
Plus you need at least 3.75 preferably 4 inches of lift

SOME will say its fine running larger tires with a manual trans, but the same thing happens, you won't be using high gear much at all unless going down hill :gr_grin:

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 speed and barely felt a difference in performance, but SOME will say it's my imagination. lol
I use 5th gear all the time on the highway (50+ mph) with absolutely no issues. Now, if I lived in a mountain area instead of the flatlands of IL, then yes I'd be spending less time in 5th. Been there had it on road trips.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 speed and barely felt a difference in performance, but SOME will say it's my imagination. lol
I use 5th gear all the time on the highway (50+ mph) with absolutely no issues. Now, if I lived in a mountain area instead of the flatlands of IL, then yes I'd be spending less time in 5th. Been there had it on road trips.

With 32's or 31's?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I've had about a dozen owners with manual transmissions finally go to 4.10s and are amazed at the power , most saying its like driving it when it was brand new ( before lifting/ bigger tires etc)
Now I know you can trick your mind into believing its all good. I did that when I started running 38s on the 79 F150 back in 1980, but once I regeared it was so much more pleasurable to drive

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on mobile last night. Didn't show up. Considering its a straight trade for my wheels and tires I doubt ill ever have that chance again. Local guys around here seem to charge 300-450 for both axles provided I buy the parts for regearing. Thats the money I would have in a brand new set of tires anyways I think. I wouldn't do it right away. Probably wait a few months but it would for sure get done.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was on mobile last night. Didn't show up. Considering its a straight trade for my wheels and tires I doubt ill ever have that chance again. Local guys around here seem to charge 300-450 for both axles provided I buy the parts for regearing. Thats the money I would have in a brand new set of tires anyways I think. I wouldn't do it right away. Probably wait a few months but it would for sure get done.

Never heard of anyone in the Toledo area doing both for 300-450 before , if you can find someone that cheap jump on it. As far as (4) 265-75-16s they would be a whole lot more than that ( well good tires)
Reason most charge more is due to the fact you have to remove the front diff completely to install new gears
Some local guy may do it cheaper at his home etc say on an XJ/TJ etc where you don't have to remove the front diff.
Plus most do not even know the tricks to R&R one if they follow the manual I think it shows like 5-6 hours without gear swap

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Also before you do this big trade what height are you sitting at now?
Have you pounded over the pinch welds yet?

Last edited:

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed parts are going to be over $800. From quadratec at least. I'm between 130 and 170 a tire for some decent 245/75's I'm thinking that might be the best bet for me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just noticed parts are going to be over $800. From quadratec at least. I'm between 130 and 170 a tire for some decent 245/75's I'm thinking that might be the best bet for me.

Going from stock to 245-75-16s is a big difference for sure and you'll be able to tell it. I think you'll be happy. Still going with other wheels as well or sticking to stock ?
This is my " silver" 02 Renegade but you can see what 245-75-16s look like on stock wheels ( lift is sit at 3 inches in front, 3.25 in the rear previous owner ( before I bought it ) wanted the stock rake so thats how we installed it )

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not doing the 32's. I have 245/70/16s now, so it's going to be tough to only go one size up but I think that's where I'm leaning. I'd love to get some Moab's to throw a wider tire on but I'm impatient and doubt any will be available by the end of this week.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not doing the 32's. I have 245/70/16s now, so it's going to be tough to only go one size up but I think that's where I'm leaning. I'd love to get some Moab's to throw a wider tire on but I'm impatient and doubt any will be available by the end of this week.

Set of 4 MOABs for sale on LOST down in Athens
Set on Craigslist here locally as well
and going from 245-70s to 245-75 makes a big difference after all they are 1.0 inch taller doesn't sound like much the the look shows different