Tire size change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true. I have heard the skinnier tires go through the snow better, but I just wanted to add a little more manliness with the tire. I really like the Kuhmos as they do fit perfectly. I am just very indecisive on what tire would work for me best. And I wanted to try and keep it below $150 per tire.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, the good old days ... when a 30x9.50 was roughly that, about 30" tall by 9-1/2" wide no matter what size rim it was monted on. Then we went "global" and tire sizes in the P/LT-metric world get a bit tricky.

As mentioned earlier, a 225/75-16 is about 1" taller than a 225/70-16, as only the aspect ratio number changed. But a 235/70-16, though wider than the 225/75 by almost 1/2", is only 1/4" smaller in diameter. This is due to the way the whole Sizing Scale is set up.

You can find a better, more detailed description on some of the tire sites, but here is the whole thing in a Reader's Digest version. (I hope I don't get confussed and mess this up... and please correct me if I'm wrong)

225/75-16
- You start with a tire width, "225mm" in this case.
- The height - of the sidewall - is a pecentage of the width. 75% in this case, or (225x0.75) 168.75mm.
- The total height of the tire is 168.75x2 (2 sidewal heights) + rim diameter.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thats right a 225/75-16 is an inch shorter than a 225/75-17 Even though the width and aspect ratio numbers are the same! :eek:

As I have no real background in the metric system, or tire sizing, when I went looking for some new shoes for my Libby, I made up a spreadsheet that translated the metric sizing into good ol' inches. It also allowed me to enter several different sizes on different lines and compare width, diameter, and sidewall heights in a familar format.

In short, with the factory "Blvd Crusier Chrome" 17 inch rims on my 2006 4x4 Limited, I ended up replacing the tires with Toyo "Open Country" ATs of the same size 235/65-17. Don't get me wrong - they have been GREAT TIRES! But, they where about the only ATs I was able to find in that size.

In Fact, I liked the Open Contry's so much, I put them on my full size Ram. And BTW, the set of 4 265/75-16s for the truck were $100usd less :confused:

Can't wait to get the liby lifted, and some 16'inch rims - all it takes is money...

Anyone know of a bank giving out "samples"! :)

UK

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Narrow tires "sink" down onto the harder ground covering due to their lack of "flotation"!
Then the narrower tire can bite into the harder terrain underneath all the lofty "goo" up above them.
Narrower tires work well for that reason in some types of mud and snow.
Wide tires only really work if the vehicle has alot of foreward momentum so that it "Float" while while in motion.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Narrow tires "sink" down onto the harder ground covering due to their lack of "flotation"!
Then the narrower tire can bite into the harder terrain underneath all the lofty "goo" up above them.
Narrower tires work well for that reason in some types of mud and snow.
Wide tires only really work if the vehicle has alot of foreward momentum so that it "Float" while while in motion.

Yep.....good explanation...:)