tire rotation & spare tire holder removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aksloan

Reaction score
04 Liberty, which tires wear quicker, front or rear? My fronts have 8/32 and the rears have 7/32 left and I'm trying to figure out if they were just rotated or need to be rotated.

Second question is I noticed some rust on the bracket that attaches to the tailgate for the spare tire and would like to take it off and refinish it. Can you just unbolt/retighten it from the outside or do you need to take off the trim panel on the inside.

Thanks.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about your tire wear question, but as for the spare tire holder you can definitely unbolt it from outside. The bolts are fixed somehow from the inside, nuts on the outside.

Hope that helps!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll jump on this as it's a related topic...

What's the general opinion for rotating tires? All 5? Just 4? My thought is, what if I want to get a different tire in a few years? Then I wasted a perfectly good spare. I also figure then the spare won't get all dried out and nasty from hanging out in the sun (I refuse to put on a tire cover).

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atrus,

I agree with your analysis, and will add another point - if you use all 5 tires you should theoretically get 25% more life out of the set. I paid good money for my Revos, I want to use all of them dammit :)

As you may have guessed I do a 5 tire rotation!

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never rotated 5 tires and probably never will. Do good to get 4 tires when the time comes, much less 5.

Front tires usually wear faster unless you are loose in turn 1 and get sideways alot.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rotate all 4 every day........ I get in, start it up, put it in gear, push on the gas and all 4 tires rotate!! :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front tires usually wear faster unless you are loose in turn 1 and get sideways alot.
(rotflmao)

jeepjeepsterIve never rotated 5 tires and probably never will. Do good to get 4 tires when the time comes, much less 5.
I to only do a 4 tire rotation,still running my 265/75 MT/R as a spare with Trxus MT's on the ground.Though it's not a money issue to me,I just haven't had a flat tire in 12 years.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atrus,

I agree with your analysis, and will add another point - if you use all 5 tires you should theoretically get 25% more life out of the set. I paid good money for my Revos, I want to use all of them dammit :)

As you may have guessed I do a 5 tire rotation!

Dave

I'm with you, Dave. To me, it's just common sense to get as much wear out of all 5 tires as possible. I've paid for 5 full-size tires, and plan to get my money's worth.

I always use the pattern of spare to right rear, right rear to right front, right front to left rear, left rear to left front, and left front to spare.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do a 5 tire rotation if you have all 5 tires. There is a standard procedure for a 5 tire rotation.

Best reason is not only you may end up switching tires and then waste a perfectly legitimate tire, but also, if you ever need to use the spare, it has been worn and more likely to be in size spec with the rest, which is better for the vehicle.

Some will argue this, but if you have all 5, rotate all 5. This is assuming you start to rotation when all 5 are brand new. If you have only been rotating 4 tires and never the fifth, don't start now, its too late.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this diagram somewhere on the web at one point, my appologies to whomever I stole it from :)

This is how I rotate:

Attachments

• tire rotation.gif
    tire rotation.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 12

Welsh Dragon

Reaction score
Ha a tyre wear thread - great timing.....

My 02 Jeep now needs new meats the standard Goodyear Wranglers have just about had it. The front need replacing and the rear ones are only a little better but also need replacing. My Jeep has done 25000 miles on these tyres and overall I'd say wear is about even front and back, so as for rotation I don't see much pay back due to even wear. I'll just get 4 new ones and forget about it for another 25000. By the way anyone recommend decent replacements ?:confused:

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha a tyre wear thread - great timing.....

My 02 Jeep now needs new meats the standard Goodyear Wranglers have just about had it. The front need replacing and the rear ones are only a little better but also need replacing. My Jeep has done 25000 miles on these tyres and overall I'd say wear is about even front and back, so as for rotation I don't see much pay back due to even wear. I'll just get 4 new ones and forget about it for another 25000. By the way anyone recommend decent replacements ?:confused:

You've got only 25K on them and they need to be replaced already?

Welsh Dragon

Reaction score
You've got only 25K on them and they need to be replaced already?

Thats 25000 MILES - this seems excellent to me i've never had tyres last that long makes me think they have been replaced already yet they are still stock wranglers. Maybe previous owner got them replaced at the dealer.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
25,000 Miles for a set of tires isnt very good really. More so since the stock tires suck and are as hard as a rock. I got around 29k on my stock tires but they still had a good 5k left. I wasnt much on risking my life just for some tires though.

Maybe you only drive on the highway? I know my front tires wear quicker than the rear but I drive on alot of back country curvy roads.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats 25000 MILES - this seems excellent to me i've never had tyres last that long makes me think they have been replaced already yet they are still stock wranglers. Maybe previous owner got them replaced at the dealer.

Man - what kind of tires are they selling in Wales, anyway? If I didn't get at least 40,000 miles out of a set, I'd be highly P-O'd. I've had many sets go well over that. I've got nearly 20,000 on my current tires and they are barely showing any wear, at all. Are you keeping your inflation up, rotating on a regular basis, and keeping an eye on your alignment?

Last edited:

Welsh Dragon

Reaction score
hi fellas

with regards to inflation and alingment all 4 tyres show even wear all over no problems there. All 4 have same ammount of wear so rotation would have made no difference at all - the difference in the UK is the nature of the road ways amount of roundabouts every couple of miles, corners, twisty roads etc, hardly ever cruising spend my life turning it's just the way it is over here.
Over here people tend to drive small nippy cars - not for me though.

Told a mate of mine that I got 25000 and he fell of his chair....:D

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi fellas

with regards to inflation and alingment all 4 tyres show even wear all over no problems there. All 4 have same ammount of wear so rotation would have made no difference at all - the difference in the UK is the nature of the road ways amount of roundabouts every couple of miles, corners, twisty roads etc, hardly ever cruising spend my life turning it's just the way it is over here.
Over here people tend to drive small nippy cars - not for me though.

Told a mate of mine that I got 25000 and he fell of his chair....:D

Yeah, I guess I hadn't even considered the roads and driving conditions. Over here in "the colonies" we're used to getting out on the open road, setting the cruise control at about 75 or 80 mph, and letting her romp. That would definitely make a difference.