Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richmbailey

Reaction score
Hopefully I don't sound stupid, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the largest size tires I can put on the libby without a lift kit installed? I currently have the stock GY's (P225's) which I don't like at all and I wanted to get something a little bigger.

Thanks for any feedback.

--Rich

pixeldzn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
245 70/16 on a gas liberty
255 70/16 on a diesel liberty.

No rubbing except offroad at full flex in the back.

pixeldzn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
235/65/17 came on my libby and they fit fine. I wouldnt go any bigger than 235/70/16. Thats a pretty big tire.

Don't go around spreading misinformation. the 245's DO fit, as tested by many, many liberty owners. The 245's look very nice and there is NO rubbing problem except at full flex on the trail where you are only going very slow anyhow.

Here's an example of an '05 Renny with 245's:

You must be registered for see images

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, i didnt say anywhere in that post that 245's do not fit. Ive looked it over and over and no where can i find that in my post. I did not spread misinfomation. I simply said the 235/65 fit my jeep fine and look ok with my lift. I also said 235/70 was a big tire and i think it is. I am worried about my gas mileage, thats why i said it dont think its a good idea to go bigger.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I can't figure out is why people are saying 245 on a gas KJ and 255 on a CRD KJ. (Aeh) They are identical...if anything my wife's gas KJ sat a tad higher than mine when both were stock. Anybody know what the deal is here?

In any case, 245/70-16s will be the largest perfect fit on a stock KJ and they will also keep your instruments calibrated correctly.

richmbailey

Reaction score
Great advise all....I'm looking at some 235/70R16 and 245/70R16 REVOs. I may go with the 235's though....

Thanks again. drive.gif

--Rich

skipperb

Reaction score
PLEASE explain

what is the difference of 3.7 and CDR when it comes to Tire size why 245/70 and 255/70 where is the difference.
I had 245/70/16 and even in the parking lot at full turn they did rub Cooper STT Mud tires tool out all of the finder well linings and now can run 265/75/16 and has less rub in the woods Cooper ATR now
You must be registered for see images attach

P4M

Reaction score
Tires

In all honesty, 235 to 245 isn't a huge difference. And really, in snow a narrower tire is better. A 235 - 70 AT tire will work as well as a 245.

Those Daystar lifts are nice. I have installed 7 of them, but the reason I don't do my own Liberty is that even with 2" extra the limits on tire size are just stupid. It's the biggest downfall of the Jeep Liberty. 2 inches on many other trucks and you can fit some real meat.