tire question--long trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smarkham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello

The other day I got a tire patched because it had nail in it. It had a slow air leak. Person who fixed it (car shop) said it was as good as new. Tire IS almost new. I'm going to be traveling from MD to TX for Christmas. Have any of you done a long trip with a patched tire?

If I had some more money I'd buy another one...but you know what it's like right now. Money is tight.

THANKS

PS It's been a week and the tire is...as good as new. No air leakage.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
IF...the main word here, if it was done correctly then it should be fine. Also as long as the hole was not too big, small nail should be no problem

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once worked in a tire shop. For passenger tires they glue a patch over the hole. It works. I've had lots of tires repaired without problems. Don't worry. Be happy. :D

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once worked in a tire shop. For passenger tires they glue a patch over the hole. It works. I've had lots of tires repaired without problems. Don't worry. Be happy. :D

gluing the patch I'd have no worries. I don't care for the plugs, but I have had plenty of them and never had a problem.

I wouldn't worry too much.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile but if i remember correctly this is how the patch is installed. First you find the leak(s) in the tire using a dunk tank filled with water. Remove any nails, etc. Next you take the tire off the rim and roughen the surface around the hole inside the tire with a special tool. Then you apply the glue all around the area you just roughened. Next you put on the patch with a special wheel tool that gets all the air out. Then you apply another layer of glue/gunk over top of the patch for extra protection. Finally, you put the tire back on.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had several tires plugged or patched in the past with no problems. I also carry a plug kit in my off-road bag. I plugged a tire once myself without even taking it off the vehicle because I was real lucky and found the nail. Then pumped it back up (I carry a pump too)

I am running on a plugged tire now. Patches are supposed to be better I think. Don't worry about it.

Dave

Last edited:

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work at a tire shop and I am RMA certified. The only patch accepted as correct these days is a combination patch. A combo patch works like your old glue patch, but it has a "plug" type thing on it aswell. you push the plug in from INSIDe the tire (instead of fromt he outside like strign plugs) The actual patch then glues, just as a normal patch would.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/multivu/4691-tire-repair-safety-video.htm

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello

The other day I got a tire patched because it had nail in it. It had a slow air leak. Person who fixed it (car shop) said it was as good as new. Tire IS almost new. I'm going to be traveling from MD to TX for Christmas. Have any of you done a long trip with a patched tire?

If I had some more money I'd buy another one...but you know what it's like right now. Money is tight.

THANKS

PS It's been a week and the tire is...as good as new. No air leakage.
TX to CT with a plug in a 275/55/20 on a Ram towing the Liberty on a flatbed. No problems.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had several tires plugged or patched in the past with no problems. I also carry a plug kit in my off-road bag. I plugged a tire once myself without even taking it off the vehicle because I was real lucky and found the nail. Then pumped it back up (I carry a pump too)

I am running on a plugged tire now. Patches are supposed to be better I think. Don't worry about it.

Dave
Done that myself a few times, in fact the tire on my tailgate right now has a plug in it because I managed to pick up a big-*** rivet in it the other night. But since I'm getting new BFGs tomorrow it's not a big deal. I've also plugged them on the vehicle like you did, actually easier for me to do it that way than to take the tire off since it doesn't move around on me :) If it is one of the new patches like offroadohio described (and it probably is) then I would have no problem running it on a road trip.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've done several road trips on several patched tires. (I've had bad tire luck) It's not a temporary fix, it's a permanent fix. You should be fine.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They got that newfangled stuff that doesn't patch, but 'plugs' the tires now, right? My understanding is the only disadvantage to that plug stuff is that because it doesn't 'cover' the hole like a patch does, there's a limit to the size of hole it will fix.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They got that newfangled stuff that doesn't patch, but 'plugs' the tires now, right? My understanding is the only disadvantage to that plug stuff is that because it doesn't 'cover' the hole like a patch does, there's a limit to the size of hole it will fix.
Are you talking about the 'fix-a-flat' stuff? I'd only consider that as a last resort - since like Dave I carry a plug kit and a compressor in my Jeep I feel pretty good about being able to get a flat roadworthy again (as long as it's a smaller hole in the tread - sidewall? Time for the spare.)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have several patches and plugs on my F250 ,8500# + work truck
some with 30K on them and never a problem
I plugged a LARGE nail hole in my LTB's on my TJ my self with out removing the tire and it works fine

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 patches in my right front for a couple of months now, I do about 2,000 miles a month. I would use the "fix a flat" as a very last resort. If you like your tires, don't use it. I have never had it work 100% for me anyway. The goop makes a problem for the next person dismounting the tire and the propellant inside is probably highly flammable.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Fix a Flat or Slime, whichever, they're all wastes of time. I wasted $20 on a Slime kit for my scooter, and I STILL had to buy a new tire. :(

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried slime on my mountain bike, only to watch it ooze out of the spoke holes. What a rip off.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dave

Same here.. I plugged two of my tires before I got my yoko's.. No problem at all if the person knows what their doing..