tire noise..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003renegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so heres the problem. everytime i get up to about 45 mph my tire starts to vibrate reaaaaally bad. i just had the tires rotated, but it started vibrating before that. the tires arent old at all and im just stumped. could the tire be off balanced or something?

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is vibrating really bad, you may have a bent wheel. Reading your post, it sounds like a severe vibration.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Take them back to where you bought them and have them put them on the spin balancer and do a run out on them, it will show any tire or wheel probelms

You may have just lost a weight or like J Thompson stated a belt sliiped

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem. it will get worse over time, and it is not due to an unbalanced wheel or tire problems. I have had my tires rotated, balanced, remounted, checked over many times. the vibration still continues. My noise starts when I am at a slow roll and slowly builds to a peak noise about 45 MPH. The sound is speed variable and tends to dissappear or at least get less annoying over 45MPH.

From what i have been able to tell, the vibration is coming from the rear end (vibration in the floor panels or pedals). If it is a problem with the front end you would feel it in the steering wheel (like you need an alingnment).

The only plausible diagnosis i have been able to get from a shop is the hub bearings (front) or the pinion or axle bearings in the rear.

Depending on the location of the noise for you, front or rear, will determine the severity of the problem/bill. The front are sealed hub bearings, meaning the only way to find out if they are bad or not is to replace them all together. The rear is another issue. From what I have been told, the rear bearings are serviceable and will be much cheaper to fix.

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my cavaier did that it was massive vibration(steering column moved almost half an inch) when at 70-75mph. Above or below it was fine. It turned out to be a delaminating tire sidewall. It was only found on a hunch from a friend-mechanic. It was only a little while away from a full blow out. Fixed the tire and it went away completely.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that too and new struts,tires and alignament took care of it

That how it got fix with me

2003renegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mmk ima go to discount tire on money since they arent open on sundays. the vibration is in the front cuz i can feel it in the steering wheel. i kinda figured it was something with the tire because it just happened all the sudden

Members online

No members online now.