Timing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jcdes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When replacing the timing chain, is the passenger cam supposed to be free or not? I placed the engine at tdc but right side cam is not free, if I remove the chain it will skip for sure.

justjeeps

Reaction score
There is a link to a 2006 FSM in my "In deep with airbag light" thread.

Perhaps it will help.

Jcdes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the fsm but it just mentions the cam psition and marks. It does not say if the right cam is free like the left one. I know it is at tdc but I find it strange that the right cam is not free to remove an replace the chain. If that was the case then I would need somebody to move the cam into position and hold it while I install the chain.

Jcdes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By free I mean I have all valves closed on the left but on the right side the cam is holding valves open so it will skip as soon as I remove the chain.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By free I mean I have all valves closed on the left but on the right side the cam is holding valves open so it will skip as soon as I remove the chain.

At TDC 2 cylinders will have both valves closed,2 will have the intake valves open(exhaust closed),and the last 2 will have the exhaust valves open(intake closed).

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is correct. You'll need to hold the cam in position to take the chain off.

Other option is to remove the cam sprocket and let the cam turn, replace the chain on the sprocket, then rotate the cam back to position. Not sure how difficult that would be since you'll be compressing some of the valve springs but that is an option.

Bob

Jcdes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I did... Everything seems fine, all dots aligned... I had to go the hillbilly way by holding the cam with a large locking plier (I used the spot where the special tool goes). Let's see if it starts... LOL...

Latest posts