Timing chain tensioner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am looking for input from long time members. I need to replace my timing chain tensioners on my 2011 KK @ 127k. Question #1 How much time does it take you to do this job? Question #2 Who makes a durable tensioner? Question #3 Should I just do the entire set using Cloyes parts or can I get away with just replacing the tensioners? (Driver side upper tensioner is the one giving me problems/broken) I ask because I don't have much experience on American products, especially Chrysler. I worked mostly on Nissan junk and tensioners have always been a problem but you can change just the bad tensioner and be just fine. I am planning to do the same here unless input dictates otherwise. If it was a VVT engine I would certainly change the chains but it's not so I'm looking forward to your opinions/advice. Thank you

Last edited:

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess for lack of opinions/advice I am going to just do the whole kit and kaboodle. I am not looking forward to it but alas it has to be done.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am looking for input from long time members. I need to replace my timing chain tensioners on my 2011 KK @ 127k. Question #1 How much time does it take you to do this job? Question #2 Who makes a durable tensioner? Question #3 Should I just do the entire set using Cloyes parts or can I get away with just replacing the tensioners? (Driver side upper tensioner is the one giving me problems/broken) I ask because I don't have much experience on American products, especially Chrysler. I worked mostly on Nissan junk and tensioners have always been a problem but you can change just the bad tensioner and be just fine. I am planning to do the same here unless input dictates otherwise. If it was a VVT engine I would certainly change the chains but it's not so I'm looking forward to your opinions/advice. Thank you
Never done one yet John, so this may not be your answer.

To me, If you want the quick and dirty fix, just replace the tensioner. From what I’ve seen before, the chains do not SEEM to wear much. Kind of hard to tell in a vehicle that uses tensioners unless you lay a new chain and used chain on top each other. If the plastic guides are used on KK, I’d be thinking guides and tensioners unless I had a reason to go further.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply and input. I finally settled on Cloyes timing chain and tensioner set. I am going to reuse the gears and sprockets. The deciding factor was being able to hear the chain riding against metal, it sure escalated quickly. It's parked now. Also, doing the water pump, thermostat, and radiator hoses plus an engine flush and oil change to remove any sparkling the chain and guide decided to contribute. Oddly despite the computer advancing the timing over 30 degrees shown in my Autel it hasn't misfired or kicked out a check engine light or code. It seems content to keep running towards its demise, but I can't have that. Lol

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply and input. I finally settled on Cloyes timing chain and tensioner set. I am going to reuse the gears and sprockets. The deciding factor was being able to hear the chain riding against metal, it sure escalated quickly. It's parked now. Also, doing the water pump, thermostat, and radiator hoses plus an engine flush and oil change to remove any sparkling the chain and guide decided to contribute. Oddly despite the computer advancing the timing over 30 degrees shown in my Autel it hasn't misfired or kicked out a check engine light or code. It seems content to keep running towards its demise, but I can't have that. Lol
Update how it goes please!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the Cloyes guides when I did the headgaskets on my 02 many years ago. The one OE guide fell apart when I disassembled for head removal. They did have about 160k on them. The Cloyes guides worked great for me.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. Got the Jeep apart. At first I was disappointed because at first glance everything looked up to *****. Alas, I found the problem. The primary chain was stretched. So I'm glad I'm doing the job despite it being a pita. Also found my evap leak, and my timing cover was leaking too with a failed coolant gasket internally, yikes!! Probably calling it a night tonight and reassemble it tomorrow. Already did the hard part of resetting the timing. Will update again when done

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Jeep back together, fired right up. No clatter/rattle from the chains anymore. I still after many hours of pondering did not see a direct source of the metal sound I was hearing from the chains. Whatever it was is gone now. Also, bonus, I found the broken evap line I had been serching for, so that is on order to be replaced. Getting the cooling system bleed out and free of air was a bit challenging but got it done. So far, no leaks after about 20 mile test ride. The Hayes manual I purchased was absolutly the worst If you had to depend on that book to fix something, good luck! I wish it was easy to upload pictures here, I did take a few. The internally failed gasket was quite interesting. Anyway, overall not too bad. It was the little things that kept fighting me over and over.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, pictures upload now. Sweet. First is a picture of the internally failed coolant gasket. Second is old chain, third is new chain for those interested in pictures.

gaurifor

Reaction score
Changing a timing chain is not outright difficult but is considered a complex job due to the large number of steps involved. If you can handle tasks like replacing tie rod ends and bleeding brakes, then odds are this is your next step.
forpc.onl streaming apps

Last edited:

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing a timing chain is not outright difficult but is considered a complex job due to the large number of steps involved. If you can handle tasks like replacing tie rod ends and bleeding brakes, then odds are this is your next step.
It went without issues. I've put 4,500 miles on since the changing the chains. I got a very noticeable improvement in power and my mpg is back to 15-16 in the city and about 21 highway.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It went without issues. I've put 4,500 miles on since the changing the chains. I got a very noticeable improvement in power and my mpg is back to 15-16 in the city and about 21 highway.
It always amazes me how much a chain stretches when you compare it to a new one.