timing belt won't go over tensioner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rainforrest guy

Reaction score
I'm doing a timing belt and water pump replacement on 2006 liberty 2.8l, everything was going fine until I tried to get the timing belt over the tensioner it will not go! Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you get the timing belt over the tensioner? Been at it for most of the day and NOTHING the belt won't go over the tensioner! Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Have you slacked off the Tensioner?
I believe the Tensioner has a Left-Hand Thread bolt keeping it in place.

If you do not have it already, download the 2006 Jeep KJ Service Manual here: www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/
Timing belt tensioner is right-hand thread on the 2.8. Just checked mine with a wrench. Idler pulleys are left-handed.

SCRiggr

Reaction score
I had to remove the tensioner, slip the belt on, and then use the tensioner bolt to pull it back together. Be careful the spring lines up or you can break the indicator. Ask me how I know.

CTJEEP

Reaction score
Yes... using your head.
Should be able to get some wiggle room, by removing idler.pulleys.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so did you compare the size of the new tensioner with the old one? I suspect the pulley is not the same size and the new one is larger.
i vaguely remember a mixed bag of sizes for the tensioner pulley. since this is in the CRD section, i do not know if this applies to you.

J.C.

Reaction score
I'm doing a timing belt and water pump replacement on 2006 liberty 2.8l, everything was going fine until I tried to get the timing belt over the tensioner it will not go! Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you get the timing belt over the tensioner? Been at it for most of the day and NOTHING the belt won't go over the tensioner! Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!
Are you replacing the "Timing" belt that drives the camshafts, or just the Serpentine/Accessory drive belt that runs around the water pump and alternator etc?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you replacing the "Timing" belt that drives the camshafts, or just the Serpentine/Accessory drive belt that runs around the water pump and alternator etc?
Post's a year old so he has probably done it by now.... unless he works at the same speed as me!