Time to retire from VW bugs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't like pulling the engine on most vehicles...on the Baja I was able to pull engine, replace main seal, reand be back on the road in about 30 minutes. Such easy cars to work on.
I had my oil cooler mounted externally below the rear window along with a thread on oil filter. Mine was surprisingly reliable compared to many VW's of the era. It didn't even mark it's spot.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Wouldn't like pulling the engine on most vehicles...on the Baja I was able to pull engine, replace main seal, reand be back on the road in about 30 minutes. Such easy cars to work on.
I had my oil cooler mounted externally below the rear window along with a thread on oil filter. Mine was surprisingly reliable compared to many VW's of the era. It didn't even mark it's spot.
Yeah. I agree. However a VW that doesn’t drip is usually out of oil. I’d likely keep it if I was still living out west, but round here most time is spent waiting for parts.

Mike Phelps

Reaction score
Hello!

After nearly 25 years of wrenching on VW type 1s, I made the tough decision to move into something a bit more modern with cool gadgets like heat and disc brakes and seatbelts and such...that I could actually drive on the freeway or perhaps even go camping more than 50 miles from home (my free tow radius...LMAO) Apparently, automocars these days use stuff other than oil and gas and you do not have to squeeze your arm out the wing window with a rag to see while driving in the rain...;)

Anyway, I recently stumbled into what I think may be a deal...a 2004 Liberty...for 500$ title in hand.
Obviously it has a few issues, but nothing major that I cannot handle myself...or am willing to drop some cash on. The front diff issue which I read is fairly common and an affordable repair to me...window regulators shot etc. I haven't had a car payment since 1997 and I would like to keep it that way.

Is a bit of rust, but again, it is nothing compared what I am used to to driving a car built for the 1958 sales year with an astounding 50 HP.

Truth is, I am a biologist at a small university, and am in need of something a little more modern that I can beat on a bit here and there. I am tired of spending far too much on rental cars just to do a little field research.

I live six blocks from campus, so I don't even bother driving to work anymore which means I don't have to stress if there is work that needs done by a shop.

Anyway, I'll be prowling around here quite a bit and probably asking embarrassing newbie questions so I figured I'd introduce myself.

Found it is best to learn about a project from other wrench jockeys BEFORE I start busting knuckles and losing 10mm sockets.

I hear you, I was hooked on VWs for YEARS too but a modern car sure is nice; heated seats, cruise control, HEAT and AC, no worries about ground clearance...

I have a 2002 KJ I picked up last year for $1800 and it is awesome. 170K on the car and it runs like new, well maintained by the first owner and so far all I've had to do is replace the camshaft and crank sensors when it died on a road trip. Since then I also did the PCV valve. A brake fluid flush is next but in the meantime, it's all good.

Good luck on your $500 project!

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aha!

Yeah!

Here's mine :

You must be registered for see images attach

Since these was taken I lowered it 3 inches, narrowed front beam, shaved the turns and handles, suicided the doors etc etc etc. Currently it looks like garbage as I had some health issues and it has been sitting for a few years.

Anyway, was able to go and get some photos and climb in and under this Liberty. Battery was flat as it has been sitting, but we will throw a charge on it and fire it up tomorrow. I'lll report back later with some noobie questions once I brush up on the lingo a bit more.

That's the cutest little bug ever ! My daughter would be dying right now lol she wants me to find one I just don't want to take on that project or the price ! And welcome btw

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
That's the cutest little bug ever ! My daughter would be dying right now lol she wants me to find one I just don't want to take on that project or the price ! And welcome btw
It’s a lot lower and a bit meaner looking these days. Bugs are great cars, but like a vintage Harley, plan on wrenching on it every other Saturday. As pictured here it it was a tank in the snow- with tire chains and 50lbs of sand in the pare tire well...

however parts are scarce out here and oftentimes the shipping costs more than the actual parts.

having to run dual carbs I order for cold weather reliability is a curse I wish on no one!

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a lot lower and a bit meaner looking these days. Bugs are great cars, but like a vintage Harley, plan on wrenching on it every other Saturday. As pictured here it it was a tank in the snow- with tire chains and 50lbs of sand in the pare tire well...

Yeah another old kj buddy who parted him and his family redid one (don't know If Tom seen Brian's) it was a sweet little bug as well I think I'm going to talk my daughter into a cooper lol with a warranty my kj is keeping me busy .

however parts are scarce out here and oftentimes the shipping costs more than the actual parts.

having to run dual carbs I order for cold weather reliability is a curse I wish on no one!